"Syd the Kid"...justa swinging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2013
Here is how I might break down this comp and point out some differences / key points (IMO)

Frames 1-26 (0-25 if you are using 0 based QuickTime counting) - "Gather"
canosyd1to26.gif

Watch how Cano is loading back "into" his hip. Notice the application of inward pressure in the thigh as he is shifting back. This is the beginning of his rear hip coil. Contrast that to you DDs "pushing the hip out". Your DD's upper leg is being moved back with the hip. Cano's upper leg is resisting the "back" of the hip and is doing so with an application of inward pressure. A little more flexion in the right knee will allow her to apply the inward pressure more easily.

Frames 27-39 (26-38 in QuickTime) - "Forward by coil / Load / Whatever you want to call it"
canosyd27to39.gif

That coil back "into" the hip is tightened and directed "around" the femur. The gather "back" isn't simply reversed and moved "forward". He redirects that gather "back around" into the forward by coil. Without getting into the whole ER/abduction vs. something else debate...I'll just say, IMO at no point does he give up that inward pressure in the rear leg.

I think many would stop this phase a little sooner... like at the point the elbow is the highest or something. I chose to go a little longer to emphasize loading to swing, or loading into the unload, or anything else you want to call it. IMO this is a key component that differentiates high level hitters from everyone else. Without going into all details you can not get this if you are turning your hips with your hips and you won't get here with adjustability if you are counting on trying to time a slam into your front side to turn your hips.

Even though Cano's barrel starts arcing rearward towards the end of this clip, can you see/feel that he is still loading whereas your DD is in the process of unloading to get the barrel moving. Unloading as leg,hips,core,shoulder,hands all come forward and around the front side.

Frames 40-55
canosyd40to55.gif

This is more about finishing what was started earlier. If you get here correctly you are harnessing the forward momentum, the loading into the unload, the already arcing barrel and your hands/arms guide all that you have built up, to deliver the barrel (arcing around your hands/forearms as they deliver) to the ball.

After that you can work on your bat flips.

Times up... gotta run.

Cheers,
NoonTime

What is loading and what is unloading when loading into the unload?

Aug 28, 2012
What is loading and what is unloading when loading into the unload?

My understanding of that saying, and I image there are multiple interpretations, has to do with the upper still loading while the lower is unloading. Is the lower really "unloading", I don't know.... I don't really feel anything unloads in the swing... sure things get unloaded, but does one ever try to unload? Anyway, with the rear leg driving inwards and everything above resisting rearwards, there comes a point where a redirection of the upper resistance allows the lower to win so to speak. I guess that is the point where one could say the lower is unloading while the upper is still loading to swing. It's an attempt to describe overlapping processes with words that one can spin multiple ways depending on if they have seen the shark or not ;)

Cheers,
NoonTime

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My understanding of that saying, and I image there are multiple interpretations, has to do with the upper still loading while the lower is unloading. Is the lower really "unloading", I don't know.... I don't really feel anything unloads in the swing... sure things get unloaded, but does one ever try to unload? Anyway, with the rear leg driving inwards and everything above resisting rearwards, there comes a point where a redirection of the upper resistance allows the lower to win so to speak. I guess that is the point where one could say the lower is unloading while the upper is still loading to swing. It's an attempt to describe overlapping processes with words that one can spin multiple ways depending on if they have seen the shark or not ;)

Cheers,
NoonTime

Here's where rd "bad" bass comes in and cues up the shark gif

Aug 28, 2012
Here's where rd "bad" bass comes in and cues up the shark gif

Sure, it could happen... that's the low hanging fruit provided by my post. An easy chuckle for the seasoned forumer. But what of the newbie who comes across this post and then say in 6 months or so down the line come across THE thread on BBF? Step outside of the jaded forum vet mindset for a moment and think how awesome that is going to be when they meet the shark. Ogres are like onions.

#process

--NoonTime

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Cheers,
NoonTime

I’m trying to find a way to describe it also. It isn’t my saying either, so I’m left to guess and interpret what is meant.

One guess is that the ‘rear leg’ is unloading … as in unloading from the end of forward movement, or from the end of forward-by-coiling … and that the ‘hands’ are loading. Then again, perhaps the reference to loading is about the ‘barrel’ as its angle deepens as the swing progresses to the torque position.

I suspect that it is a cue meant to delay loading the barrel/hands/wrists early.

Anyone else have a thought on the topic of "loading into the unload"?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I’m trying to find a way to describe it also. It isn’t my saying either, so I’m left to guess and interpret what is meant.
One guess is that the ‘rear leg’ is unloading … as in unloading from the end of forward movement, or from the end of forward-by-coiling … and that the ‘hands’ are loading. Then again, perhaps the reference to loading is about the ‘barrel’ as its angle deepens as the swing progresses to the torque position.
I suspect that it is a cue meant to delay loading the barrel/hands/wrists early.

Anyone else have a thought on the topic of "loading into the unload"?

I think I have found the... "place"... to describe it.

My fastpitch education was ignited by a analogy of it to building a house. I found linkage because I think in terms of our biggest investment. When I read the thread about how much it cost a year to play TB, I think no Sunroom,deck,or kitchen remodel this year for them, or even a polebarn...Thought I had an angle selling them with out concrete floors, to Fastpitch people... that idea stunk.

Just like Tech Hitting, and Pitching....the trades have jargon. Some of the best Artisans who influenced me growing up could not red or wrt.You have thousands of terms to decode. Lotz of geographical implications too. I have worked in Ohio, Ky, Tenn, NY, NJ, Fla, Ga, Tx, and many other places. Even Az. !!!

But since we are reading this on a computer, and we all have e-mail... I'll move from jargon to Keywords. My keywords on my videos are: Softball; Fastpitch; NCAA; NPF; and now MLB. By using them keywords, I was able to get rid of some stupid stuff after my video played, that I felt was below the dignity of my DD. It is cool to see where my videos end up....could this bring college exposure???

Keyword...."unloading"... first snag on my 15 min of fame thread. Back to the sequence of construction... I learned FFFF... footings, forms, foundation then frame. When I was directed to feet first, in pitching and now hitting comprehension... I get it !

The "place" is in the feet first. You got to Landscape the batters box, get rid of all the dips and marks.IMHO... Then dig "your" two footers. Front one is just the mark, a flat one. The one for the back is to set distance of your stance, and deep enough to pull and push off of.... a V trench. As I set mine to my shoulder width this morning, and down over an inch. I first pushed off it like a starting block, but off my outer arch,then with my inner arch. Then I pulled... my knees together to feel the (keyword "resistance") using the incline of the V.... I cut in with the outside of my shoe. The first thing I noticed was my calf muscles. As I pulled knees together harder, I felt my knees collapse and my lower back give way to alittle bend. I felt the tingle that's in my calf move up to my inner thigh... The point of pull until you release to "lift" or "toe tap" and start the "push".... ??? piVot point... not sure if this was what you were talking about, But I know I gotta be right about were it starts. Feet First=footers.

FFS or anyone else... what is the official term widely excepted (comprehensible) by HS and D1 Coachs alike for: when the front foot does the touchdown, on the front pads of the foot, then toggles to the heal, then rolls over to the outer arch,(on contact with ball) with front toe pointing to pitcher?

I'll stop here on this post.... I'll go write some of my tell all stuff in an other one, to draw fire... so my friends list will be able to continue our relationships without swooping in on this one. I'll tell them how I really got DD to hit them points... in my Spring Swing video. Although I don't think they have seen it yet... lol I'll start one in practical hitting... they might feel more comfortable there.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
As clear as clam chowder. Thanks for communicating it in a way everyone will understand PC. Gotta go, the toad I was licking is eating all of my mushrooms.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
As clear as clam chowder. Thanks for communicating it in a way everyone will understand PC. Gotta go, the toad I was licking is eating all of my mushrooms.

Hope your not just kidding me RHC. I really did write re-write, and tried as hard as I can to stay on point. I kinda think of you as my sponsor on the tech hitting...

EP: that gave me a great idea for seeding warts on hands to satirically place them on her hands for getting the grip right.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Off course it's not a joke. This is an internet hitting forum! A joke, an incorrectly placed word, dragging the bat when it was really bat drag, turning the barrel when in fact it is the barrel that is turning, ir ing instead of turning inward, all these things could ruin everyone's chance at hitting a rise ball low in the zone!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Off course it's not a joke. This is an internet hitting forum! A joke, an incorrectly placed word, dragging the bat when it was really bat drag, turning the barrel when in fact it is the barrel that is turning, ir ing instead of turning inward, all these things could ruin everyone's chance at hitting a rise ball low in the zone!

My old Style

perfect-circle-albums-my-pics-picture3397-3-12-2013-9-14-59-am.jpg

Last edited: