Switching from end loaded to balanced bat - where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It would be nice if the vendors would rate the bat with length, weight, and some measurement such as balance point to normalize "how endloaded is it?".

Not having measured the balance point on any of our bats, I'm not sure there would be a constant throughout the weight ranges, but even an additional +n value to indicate how far that point has been moved out vs. the balanced version would be something.

Bats aren't made by hand. When there is a +/- on the weights of bats allowed to pass...to say every bat has this balanced point is impossible. When you can have 2 bats, the same model...weigh .5 to an ounce different, the balanced point will be different as well.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Bats aren't made by hand. When there is a +/- on the weights of bats allowed to pass...to say every bat has this balanced point is impossible. When you can have 2 bats, the same model...weigh .5 to an ounce different, the balanced point will be different as well.

True, but by that logic, they wouldn't mark them as 33/23 either since not all are 23oz. It's a declaration of intent.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
True, but by that logic, they wouldn't mark them as 33/23 either since not all are 23oz. It's a declaration of intent.

Each manufacturer allows a +/- for their bats...as I just said. You can allow the plus or minus and be perfectly fine doing so. In turn though, you cant name a balanced point as you would need someone doing every single bat separately.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Each manufacturer allows a +/- for their bats...as I just said. You can allow the plus or minus and be perfectly fine doing so. In turn though, you cant name a balanced point as you would need someone doing every single bat separately.

Well, if they actually make that weight tolerance known, I'll concede your point.

What I'm thinking is, even if only the bats that actually weigh what the label says have a balance point 2" away from that of the equivalent balanced bat, it might still be a meaningful indication of endload, but I doubt such a number would be true throughout the full range of lengths. MAybe something like the swing weight system used for golf clubs could work too.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You can easily check (and measure for comparison purposes) the balance point of any bat by finding the point at which it balances on the square edge of a counter/table/other flat surface.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Well, if they actually make that weight tolerance known, I'll concede your point.

If you have ever called any manufacturer, they will tell you. Just call any company and say you bought a Easton so and so, or LS so and so and it weighed an ounce over. They will tell you their company allows for a +/-. Easton is VERY easy going on their allowance...haha

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Odd as it sounds I think weighing bats is a fairly new development for parents and players. It never occurred to me that a bat might not weigh what the sticker says until I read about it.

It's not a conspiracy, I think it's marketing. They know some kids will hit very well with a bat that is a -9 or -8 but also know that parents and coaches won't buy or allow their use so -10 goes on the bat and when the kid hits great those same parents and coaches talk about how hot those -10 Stealths were but don't bring that -8 CF4 around here because it will kill your bat speed.

Edited to add: there is a guy on another forum who was OUTRAGED to find out his dd's Rocketech was 2.5 over or whatever. He was trying to get Anderson to replace a 2004 bat and wanted Steven Anderson called in front of Congress. I think he had previously talked about how well she hit with it. You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Odd as it sounds I think weighing bats is a fairly new development for parents and players. It never occurred to me that a bat might not weigh what the sticker says until I read about it.

It's not a conspiracy, I think it's marketing. They know some kids will hit very well with a bat that is a -9 or -8 but also know that parents and coaches won't buy or allow their use so -10 goes on the bat and when the kid hits great those same parents and coaches talk about how hot those -10 Stealths were but don't bring that -8 CF4 around here because it will kill your bat speed.

Bat manufacturers are not trying to "trick" customers into using an end loaded bat. If there was a tight weight tolerance, a lot of bats would "fail" quality control and become paperweights. Also, when a bat is over the stated weight there are no guarantees that the extra weight is in the end of the bat.....it could be evenly distributed. If it matters that much to you, take a scale and balance triangle into your local bat retailer and weight and find the balance point of every bat on their shelf until you find the "perfect match" for your DD.

Dec 11, 2010
But aren't they fairly consistently over in weight? If I look at EricF's post they are all in a range according to model, swing weight vs. actual, etc. etc.

I'm not saying it's a trick, and I'm not arguing. Balanced bats are probably best for most hitters. I don't really care if a bat is over sticker, to me it does not matter. If the bat fits the kids swing and she likes the feel the label doesn't matter to me at all.

Great example that I know well: DD used RT's since she began softball. She tried a Rocketflex last year and loved it. It is -10 sticker, about 1.5 over but swings heavier than a RT that is "-9", 2.5 over. Does sticker weight matter? Or the feel?

Maybe I'm totally missing the point here, sorry for that if I am.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
But aren't they fairly consistently over in weight? If I look at EricF's post they are all in a range according to model, swing weight vs. actual, etc. etc.

I'm not saying it's a trick, and I'm not arguing. Balanced bats are probably best for most hitters. I don't really care if a bat is over sticker, to me it does not matter. If the bat fits the kids swing and she likes the feel the label doesn't matter to me at all.

Great example that I know well: DD used RT's since she began softball. She tried a Rocketflex last year and loved it. It is -10 sticker, about 1.5 over but swings heavier than a RT that is "-9", 2.5 over. Does sticker weight matter? Or the feel?

Maybe I'm totally missing the point here, sorry for that if I am.

Similar experience with the FPRTF - DD's favorite bat of all time (and TB's self-proclaimed best designed bat to date). IMO, it swings heavier than the RTs because the composite handle and knob weigh less than the alloy handle and solid alloy knob used in the RTs and, because of this, the bat actually feels more end loaded and swings "heavier" than a RT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67