Switching from end loaded to balanced bat - where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD (10 YO) has been swinging a CF6 Insane since May this year. While she had success with it, I'm starting to think its too much bat for her. She's tall at 5'0 and around 95 lbs but not sure she has the right mechanics just yet for an end loaded bat. She's moving up from a B team to an A team for the spring so she will be facing better and faster pitching. I want her to have the right equipment for the season while we work on her mechanics.

For you hitting experts out there - what are your thoughts?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hitting instruction...fix the indian, not the arrow.

$200 in good hitting instruction will likely be a better long-term solution. A lighter bat may just allow her to get away with sub-par mechanics for longer, but the issue will still need to be addressed.

Feb 5, 2013
While I agree with Eric F about the arrows and indian, IMHO a move to a balanced bat is a smart move. In fact, at that age (10 yo), I would only recommend an end-loaded bat like the Insane for the strongest players (both physically and in terms of skill set). Others might disagree, which is fine.

What size is the CF6 Insane?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's 31/21

I'll back off my previous statement just a bit, and that's largely to do with the age group of your DD (which I missed before - sorry). There are very few 10yos I've seen that can effectively swing an end-loaded bat. Based on her height, I think the length is appropriate, but she might have better control and speed with a balanced bat.

My 10yo (4'-11", 90 lbs) is swinging a 31/20 CF6, but she could probably do just fine an ounce heavier. We do a lot of work on hitting mechanics, but have a lot of work to do yet. My hope is that she will be able to swing an Insane when it's time for her next bat.

All that said, trying to work around mechanics issues with different bats is a short-term fix that will get exposed sooner or later as pitching gets better.

Feb 5, 2013
I really hope you dont mean that as a general statement for every girl?

Did you read my whole post or just that sentence?

There are no absolutes. Any evaluation would have to be done based on the specific player. With the information the OP gave (10 YO, 5'0, 95lbs) ... and that being the only information she gave ... I would never recommend an end-loaded bat to a girl that age and that size unless I knew she was very strong and a skilled hitter.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am still trying to figure out how so many young players end up swinging end loaded bats. If your DD is "rocking" the rec level pitching she is facing it is time to move up to TB, not buy an end loaded bat! In college I bet 90% of the players use a balance bat vs. an end loaded one, so I am not sure why so many 10U and 12U parents think their DD is the next Crystal Bustos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67