Switching from end loaded to balanced bat - where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
SBmom,
Consider that you probably have the right bat for the present.

There is really nothing "Insane" about the Dem Insane as far as weight is concerned. The weight of the 31/21 is an anemic 20.7 according to the database (thanks Eric). Sure, it sounds about right in terms of the scale, but remember that the bat grip weighs .5 oz. That 1/2 oz is a non-factor due to it's location at the 'hands' end of the bat. It (the weight of the grip) shouldn't figure into the actual scale weight of a bat any more than the players batting gloves should. In case anyone is curious, my DD's batting gloves which seem about average weigh just a hair over 3.0 oz for the pair. THREE ounces, gasp!! Should she remove her batting gloves when facing the fastest pitchers? Lol, how ridiculous! Is it starting to sound ridiculous to include the bat grip in a bat's weight? It should. Now, take your DD's batting gloves and the grip out of the equation and you see that she is swinging a bat that weighs only 20.2 oz. I don't think going lighter is the answer.

There is also really nothing "Insane" about the Dem Insane as far as endload is concerned. What little there is only helps the bat to feel a little more like a normal -10 IMO. It offsets the 'ultralight'-ness a bit. If you look at Eric's database again, you'll see that the regular cf6 and the cf6 Insane are the same weight in the 31/21. If you are considering a switch just to get rid of the minimal (if any?) endload and the weight stays the same, then you are splitting hairs IMO.

I think you have a pretty good fit in her hands and would look into improving mechanics as others have suggested.

Then again, I am no expert.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I agree for the most part with vdub. I think people get too wrapped up in the "endload" perception. The Demar Insanes arent much of a huge endload because they are so close to sticker...just that their balanced bats are sooooo balanced. The real diff comes in the overweighting of bats. Now, take a 33/23 Combat G3 that is gonna weigh 24+...feels like a much bigger endload because the bat is overweight, not because its supposed to be a huge endload bat made to feel that way. If the bat weighed 23 on the nose, the endload feel would be much less. The Demars do not have that issue.

Take the LS line. People claim the Xeno as endloaded because the LXT is so balanced. But the Xeno also weighs close to 1.0 over weight and ther LXT is closer to sticker. If the Xeno was same weight, you probably wouldnt have that much of a weight diff feel between the two.

This isnt SP softball where many bats are made to feel like serious sledgehammers

Whatever...I know what I'm trying to say atleast...I hate trying to type to keep up with my thoughts :)

Mar 19, 2014
central Maine
Ok. So would my daughter see any difference in switching from an Easton cv12 to a Demarini cf6 insane? She really wants one, but has had good success with the cv12. Confused.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I agree with Core, in our closet full of bats is a cf6 insane. It doesn't feel all that endloaded or weighty to me. Actually it just feel "normal" when compared to a regular cf6, which feels almost too light to me. Our 33/23 insane swings much lighter than our 32/23 rockettech, 33/24 lxt, and all our 23-24oz eastons except for maybe the mako. As with any new bat, give it a couple practices and she will be liking it.

Mar 19, 2014
central Maine
So if my DD wanted a cf6 insane because she likes the feel of an end-load would she need a 33/23 in order to compensate for the weight difference of the 32/22 cv 12 since the Eastons are generally heavier?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
It would be nice if the vendors would rate the bat with length, weight, and some measurement such as balance point to normalize "how endloaded is it?".

Not having measured the balance point on any of our bats, I'm not sure there would be a constant throughout the weight ranges, but even an additional +n value to indicate how far that point has been moved out vs. the balanced version would be something.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
She has to feel one...I would never tell anybody to buy a bat without knowing how they feel.

An Insane will not feel as "end" heavy as other manufacturer's bats. That's why I always tell people to go out and at least pick the bats up and feel them. I also suggest people to scale weigh your bats so you know what you're swinging.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd