Switch to Hitting Lefty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
What Ken just posted drives me nuts to see coaches do this to a kid. She has two strike count and they move her to the right side. The kid has no chance, because she is not going to get a good pitch to hit and 9 times out of 10 they strike out. Why not at least have them slap, which is a short swing and they have a better chance of making contact. This to me is terrible coaching.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
SBF, it's like Mr. Miyagi said. Walk down left side of road, safe. Walk down right side of road, safe. Walk down middle of road, get squashed like grape.

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for the replies, we have a few months so I will discuss with DD. She hit really good last year but she is so small it might catchup to her in a few years if she doesn't change. I am sure she will enjiy the mental game of slap hitting if I can get her there.

I'll dissent a little... I would make sure she is "functional" from the left, before the commitment is made. By that I mean, have her work at it a few weeks, or a month, and then switch. If you're in a cold weather state and in off season, then it's not an issue. If you're in the southwest and still playing, then you might want to consider that.

But definitely, once you commit, don't go back.

Mar 22, 2010
So is hitting from both sides unheard of or just not that common? I wouldn't be thinking of switching with two strikes but rather hitting from the right side in situations where more power is necessary, a power slap won't cut it and the regular lefty swing is just not there yet and may never be.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Softball is more of a speed sport and you do not get the advantage switching like in baseball based on the pitcher being a righty or a lefty. A couple of feet can give you a big advantage when you can run 60 feet in 2.7 seconds.

Mar 22, 2010
I follow you but my point is - can the situation dictate which side of the plate a girl should hit from? If you need a baserunner, trying to move a runner over or single to drive home a run - hit from the left side. If bases are loaded and you need to drive in some runs and you have a newbie slapper (or even a slapper that doesn't hit for power) - hit from the right side. Just curious...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks, I looked and her next game should be 1st week in May so we have some time. Not enough time but you never do.

She will know her Manager so if struggles getting her feet under her it will be OK.

I talked with her and she has agreed to bat only lefty, if anyone asks her she is a lefty. Haven’t told her yet but we have a March 1st deadline for next season, if she is not making progress she will probably switch back.

Going into the season she will be batting only on 1 side. I am buying the argument that having the option to switch back and forth will inhibit her development, and maybe make it imposable to be successful.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I don't if she has speed and she has been taught to place the ball. There are so many ways a slapper can burn you. If you have speed on third , they have to play the bunt. If they are in the duck hit becomes a weapon. Not sure why you think a power slap won't cut it. A power slap is a line drive into the OF.

Oct 14, 2008
SB at open hitting last night I had a young lady that has always struggled from the right and never hit left make the switch. The difference was day and night. Her view of the ball, confidence and pitch selection improved 100%. I have never been a fan of switch hitting because of the time it takes from your strong side practice, but after seeing her last night I may have to re think some ideas I thought were set in stone.

Tim

Mar 22, 2010
Would you expect a girl making the switch to stay with the same bat length and weight or is there a reason you might change that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi