Switch to Hitting Lefty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Whatever weight she was using batting right, might be lighter on the left till she adjusts to a new swing, but every kid is different.
Some can handle an end loaded bat and others will never handle one.

KD1

Dec 3, 2011
Ca$hville,TN
If I can share my experience, learning to switch hit can have advantages and disadvantages. I'm talking about for the player who is learning not game situations. In softball of course the main purpose for this is for slap bunting and its a very big plus if you are teaching a player who is a very good hitter from the right side than a poor hitter. They understand their swing, can make good contact, and they have good hand/eye coordination. Now I learned to switch hit at 11 years old and let say this, the first thing the player has to get used to is the awkwardness of how it feels. Its going to feel different rather they say it feels natural or not. And if it doesn't work out and the player feels they cannot do it don't force them too. Batting is mostly having a good mentality and if they feel they can't do it they won't be able too. But for those who do, remember to have them always practice their swing from both sides. A ball is not needed cause what you want them doing is just getting the swing mechanics down. Start from the right side and take about 15-20 swings then switch left handed about 15-20 swings. They don't have to be hard swings just good ones. Ask them what are they doing differently left handed than what there doing right-handed. The key is have them compare the feel of the 2 sides. How there holding the bat, the step-in, their foot placement, their stance, etc. whatever it is. Now you would think that you want the exact same swinging mechanics as the same side but NO, your learning how to hit again just from the other side so you have to develop the mechanics for that side. The main difference is you have the experience of hitting well from one side and now all you have to do is develop whats comfortable for you left-handed. Just because something works for you right-handed doesn't mean it will be just as successful left-handed. You have to develop the swing, the stance, etc before it starts to feel truly natural. And its going to take time. For me it took about 1 full year before that unnatural feeling went away and I could hit just as well lefty as right though I still prefer hitting righty. I have taught 2 players to switch hit the last year and 1 is very good the other is still a work in progress but with some time can be good. I hope I helped.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In my opinion switch hitting isn't as important in softball as it is in baseball because of the way the pitch is delivered. In baseball, the overhand throw comes from a 3/4 position, so the pitch is thrown in a way that looks like it will come right at a hitter who is hitting from the same side as the pitcher throws (i.e. righty pitcher, righty hitter). Being able to move to the other side of the plate gives you a better look at the ball.

In softball, the plane of the throw is vertical, so it's right next to the body on either side. There's nothing to make it look like it's being thrown at you, and your view is pretty good regardless of which arm the pitcher uses to throw it.

I base this, by the way, on my experiences as a left-handed hitter. When I played baseball lefty pitchers were pretty rare. I only really remember hitting against one of them, and I found the experience to be very different than hitting off righties. It was more intimidating, especially because this particular pitcher came a bit more from the side and threw hard. I wasn't used to seeing the ball that way and it was a tough adjustment. But I could pound the righties because I had a great view of the ball.

KD1

Dec 3, 2011
Ca$hville,TN
In my opinion switch hitting isn't as important in softball as it is in baseball because of the way the pitch is delivered. In baseball, the overhand throw comes from a 3/4 position, so the pitch is thrown in a way that looks like it will come right at a hitter who is hitting from the same side as the pitcher throws (i.e. righty pitcher, righty hitter). Being able to move to the other side of the plate gives you a better look at the ball.

In softball, the plane of the throw is vertical, so it's right next to the body on either side. There's nothing to make it look like it's being thrown at you, and your view is pretty good regardless of which arm the pitcher uses to throw it.

That is a great point about the ball delivery. I notice most other coaches over adjust their teams defense because they see a lefty. I remembered one coach moved his Left fielder all the way near center field because I had a lefty power hitter. Talk about too much. But having a good switch hitter can be great strategy too see how will the other team will react to it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
All batters are a little unsettled by lefty pitchers. Even right handed batters can get thrown off because they aren't used to seeing them. But as they gain experience it doesn't bother them as much. I can remember in 10 and 12U my DD (lefty) would come in to pitch and often the first pitch the batter would look over to the coach as if to say "What the heck just happened". In 14U that never happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi