Swing Timing ?'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2015
What are some drills that you guys do for working on hitting balls at various speeds? And for working on not pulling the ball?

Over the winter it was slow tossing variable speed balls in our cage.
Now that Spring has made somewhat of an appearance in MN, we set up the pitching machine and she's obviously been practicing in HS ball...

Being much stronger after hitting the weights hard this winter and using a 34/24 Xeno vs. the 33/23 last year, her problem is now this...

She's too far in front of the ball when hitting, and she's pulling the ball hard.
Her bat speed is much faster than last year, which is great.
And I know being behind a ball is worse than being ahead, since you can throttle your swing back a little. But she can't seem to start her swing later and get the bat head on the ball square.

What do you guys use for drills in helping them with timing their swing?
I know it's mainly intuition, but we don't have the luxury of time...any pointers?
She did well against a pitcher throwing from 60-62 this week, but she was still pulling it....hard
She is able to swing the 34/26 very efficiently. Should we try using that instead of the 34/24? To slow the bat down a little?

Her batting avg this year is lower than what it was last year, and I know it's because she's so far ahead of the ball...

It doesn't matter what speed the pitch is, she's the same distance, or amount of time, ahead of the ball.
Whether it's a change-up, rise or fastball.

In batting practice, after 15-20 balls or so, she seems to throttle back the bat head. She really starts pounding the ball up the middle, with the bat head squared up to the ball, when she's not pulling it.
But in a game she doesn't have that luxury...

Your thoughts?...

Thanks

Feb 26, 2011
IMO, if different speeds don't matter, sounds like a mechanical issue not a timing issue. I would look at the wrist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1