Swing help!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I appreciate all the feedback.
Lots of information and changes to give to my daughter
Thanks again
I'll post her changes on video for more feedback and commets

Trying to fix everything all at once is overwhelming and can easily lead to frustration...for both of you. Take it slow, and be patient. Allow her to adapt to one adjustment before introducing the next. Focus on sequence first. Keep educating yourself.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That is awesome!
Looking at Pujols and the one legged golfer front side hip, do you think his front leg (hip) gets in the way and then out of the way like Mr. Presley does?

He really coils that front side! Great clip of a man missing half of his frontside crushing the ball. No doubt he would do better with two legs but he does better than me.

Backside supplies delivers and directs the power? Is that what you mean by in charge?

Does the gif represent a player keeping his rear foot planted in your opinion?

One_Legged_Golfer6.gif

May 3, 2014
Well since the pelvis is pretty much one big bone it is pretty much impossible to not have the front "hip" get in way if you are coiling around the rear leg. How you do it is what makes the difference.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Control the pelvic angles as the weight is shifted. the pelvis will want to turn back and rise on the front side...,it will try to find balance "ON" the rear leg... don't allow it.
The core must take control......Good luck all!

May 3, 2014
TJ - while I wholeheartedly believe the core has a huge role, it's responsibility is to load the rear leg. The pullbacks load the rear leg and this is the core in action. Your core provides the resistance. Everything above the rear leg pelvic junction is the core. The scap pullback is part of the core pullback against the rear leg. Your forearms turn the barrel into the load and further loads the rear leg. Everything just finally snaps.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well since the pelvis is pretty much one big bone it is pretty much impossible to not have the front "hip" get in way if you are coiling around the rear leg. How you do it is what makes the difference.

For many two-legged hitters it isn't simply a matter of the pelvis being one big bone. Watch closely and you will often see internal rotation of the front-leg within front hip socket, followed by external rotation of the front-leg within the front hip socket. That internal & external rotation is not simply the result of the pelvis being one big bone. That lead leg movement is an independent and synchronized action.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Backside supplies delivers and directs the power? Is that what you mean by in charge?

Backside in charge

giphy.gif

The backside starts the sequence the front leg/knee is simply lifted off the ground. The backside determines how far forward you travel and when the front leg/heel comes down, The front leg is lifted so the backside is now in control of the front leg joints (the body is suspended by the backside), therefor the backside now controls when the front leg is planted. The front leg isn't reaching or striding on it's own it is simple suspended by the backside which is in charge and controls the the "striding" action.

So the backside is in charge from the start, long before the sequence of the actual swing. The "weight shift" is the backside working and the rotation into footplant or the dropping of the front heel is all controlled by the backside. The backside presses the front heel down from toe touch into footplant.

So when I say the backside is In Charge, I mean the backside is in charge from the start. The sequence of the swing itself is also started by the backside. Or back hip and core.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The hip coil drill is really helping
Haven't tried anything else yet
Thanks guys

These guys have a lot of good ideas. I have my players do extensive work on the hips. One young lady busted out in TB this past weekend and hit 5 bombs. When I saw her Tuesday, she was so excited. Another young lady hit her first over the fence home run this past weekend. Our focus last week was some of this stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles