Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not trying to be ignorant, but what exactly does it mean to "Swing down in the back" that is a different thing than sending the barrel backwards.

Keep in mind Baez has one of the highest rear elbow positions in the game by the time he gets to launch, so the barrel is going loop quite a bit. He doesn't care about small ball either in general. Its always swinging for the fence.

It’s both swinging by sending the barrel backwards and swinging down. Your swinging down to get on plane. It’s not necessarily swinging down in front.

I’ll post another video.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not trying to be ignorant, but what exactly does it mean to "Swing down in the back" that is a different thing than sending the barrel backwards.

Keep in mind Baez has one of the highest rear elbow positions in the game by the time he gets to launch, so the barrel is going loop quite a bit. He doesn't care about small ball either in general. Its always swinging for the fence.

Here’s a good view of swinging down in back and getting on plane.

90BF277D-F874-41A8-AA9C-423ED96EE13B.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
It’s both swinging by sending the barrel backwards and swinging down. Your swinging down to get on plane. It’s not necessarily swinging down in front.

I’ll post another video.

Yes Bond's is swinging down to get on plane out front (line drive).. Not the same as sending the barrel backwards and swinging up to get on plane with the pitch.

8O8THFi.gif

jFHegxO.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Everyone swings down, as long as you finish up through it’s not an issue.

You have some arm action and drop the hands. It’s not swinging down like we are talking about with how pro’s swing down.
Pros are not trying to finish up through the ball, listen Donaldson(barrel path poster boy). He's trying to get on plane and through the ball, anything he catches out front his where damage is done, but that's not his intention. These are his words not mine.

The barrel arcs back up because the pros have great sequence and posture while being down to. If you are ABAF with a down to approach, the barrel path will be down through.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Oh ya, this is from that PM where I sent you that swing (active hand turn) and this swing(down) and asked you which one was which.(you got it wrong IIRC)

Nothin special but good enough for me to believe Barry Bonds...

Edit: for Pattar

I’m having problems loading your video. I’ll get back with you.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Don't try to make this about me, It's about Shawn from discussfastpitch.com and Barry Bonds. You guys should have a HR contest :)

I was/am having some fun with you Shawn, I didn't think you were serious when you said you knew more about hitting than the best hitters in the world. C'mon man, seriously

I had insomnia last night, I was in a bad mood.😉

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi