Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is this swinging down, IOW are you trying to swing down or just swinging around the posture? I always thought it was posture, but I could be wrong.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Are you trying to swing down, or just letting the posture set the plane?

Oct 2, 2017
Is this swinging down, IOW are you trying to swing down or just swinging around the posture? I always thought it was posture, but I could be wrong.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maybe this might help?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Shawn, most of the greats speak of swinging down to vs turning behind.. If you have ever played pepper and tried to hit line drives its the same concept.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Maybe this might help?

His student is short to long (pushing the hands forward) and the hand path is long (long swing), he is forcing the short to and getting the hands in-front of the back shoulder. That’s not a good example of swinging down. That is swinging down without posture support, posture and swing path don’t match.

And because he is getting the hands out front, pushing, is lead forearm and barrel aren’t aligned at contact.

I did like the video with Harper and the idea of swinging down.

Oct 2, 2017
His student is short to long (pushing the hands forward) and the hand path is long (long swing), he is forcing the short to and getting the hands in-front of the back shoulder. That’s not a good example of swinging down. That is swinging down without posture support, posture and swing path don’t match.

And because he is getting the hands out front, pushing, is lead forearm and barrel aren’t aligned at contact.

I did like the video with Harper and the idea of swinging down.

Yes I'm mainly referring to the Harper portion. As far as the Kid, you have to take into account just that, He is a kid LOL You have to look at the end goal and how those things we teach a youth player now sets them up for success as they grow into the game.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The pitch in the clip is a slider BTW.

I see swinging down with posture support in the swing, Lewis. Compared to the kid who has a upright posture and a hand path that works down with no support.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes, he is just a kid. Although once ballistic actions and game pressures are learned, they be very hard to change.

You could say the kid is using a style, a movement pattern.

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, he is just a kid. Although once ballistic actions and game pressures are learned, they be very hard to change.

I don't know that I can agree with that. As a player gets older the ability to adapt and control the body increases. Essentially body awareness increases. So the ability to make changes is not so difficult. Getting a youth player to feel movements to set them up for success later is very tough.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Think you're missing critical points about coaching kids Shawn. Yes, the HOF heroes need to work on their swing constantly in order to hit maybe .300 after their body is fully developed.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The kid is using a style, it’s not the first time I’ve seen that movement pattern.

I could care less about how he swings, if that is the best he can do, then I’m fine with that swing.

It’s not a good swing down model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1