Swing down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2015
What's happening with them swinging down to the ball and creating bottom spin is the same principle when a slow pitch hitter swings up on a ball that's arching downward and the bat hitting the ball creates top spin.
With swinging downward the ball can do two things...get driven hard into the ground if hit on the top of the ball, or get driven upward with some bottom spin that gives the ball a little extra lift over the trajectory of the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Shortly after one of the 'swing-down' HRs the batter was in the dugout showing her teammates a swing-down-through-the-ball path. She was laughing ... leading me to speculate that she wasn't trying to go yard, but enjoyed the result anyway.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Anyone watch the Oklahoma Sooners Vs Louisiana Lafayette super regional game tonight?

Did the Oklahoma team look to have a "swing down" mentality?

What i saw in a lot of games was the batters were swinging up under rise balls instead of squaring them up,maybe lower in the zone but not high, and on the end of the bat not choked up,can't figure that approach out unless it's for exercise.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
What i saw in a lot of games was the batters were swinging up under rise balls instead of squaring them up,maybe lower in the zone but not high, and on the end of the bat not choked up,can't figure that approach out unless it's for exercise.

Overall, it was my opinion that the swings are much improved than they were just 3-4 years ago. The game is advancing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Beside the 'spinning' mechanics. Maybe, the mind set is swing down. I'm thinking that on this swing like any other swing it's 50/50 percent chance If the ball is slightly struck on the lower side of the bat it's a ground ball. If the ball is slightly struck upper side it's a fly ball possible HR. Struck square its's a line drive(Yogi Berra). I'm sure it's been said before 'keep bat/barrel above the ball as long as possible'.

I hear you, it's just that some folks look at GIFs like we see below and have a difficult time reconciling between that advice and what they see.

ccabrera_revc_Tip_Barrel_Below_The_Ball.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1