Swiching Pitching Styles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I can tonight.
Could you elaborate more on the Posture and Lack of drive. And how I can get more leg drive. I think it is a lot but apparently it is not. So I need suggestion and help. Also,how do you work on leg drive being on concrete floor. Isn't that hard on the hip, knee and ankle? Thanks for the help.

Check out this thread.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With due respect, you are obsessing over leg drive. It is possible that this fixation with leg drive is negatively impacting the rest of her pitching motion.

Your DD has other flaws in her motion. After those are fixed, then you can go back to working on leg drive.

Once we get a side video of her, we'll be able to point out specifically what she needs to work on.

Jun 18, 2010
Also,how do you work on leg drive being on concrete floor. Isn't that hard on the hip, knee and ankle?

I set up a pitching area in the garage, on the concrete floor for DD. I purchased two heavy duty rubber stall mats from TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I also use them in a basement home gym as a floor cover for free weights. I secured the rubber stall mats together end-to-end with Gorilla Tape so that they would not separate. On top of the rubber mats, I have a piece of astro turf.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
With due respect, you are obsessing over leg drive. It is possible that this fixation with leg drive is negatively impacting the rest of her pitching motion.

Your DD has other flaws in her motion. After those are fixed, then you can go back to working on leg drive.

Once we get a side video of her, we'll be able to point out specifically what she needs to work on.

Side view

https://youtu.be/cz5Wyzm_eic

Last edited:

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa

Side view
https://youtu.be/jzLjAV1A7YQ

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
martianr

In saying "...and her drive (or lack there of)," I would say that her drive is stride-dominant (weaker) rather than THRUST-dominant (stronger). She really gets that stride leg and foot forward, but that right leg.... it seems to be more just along for the ride rather than explosively thrusting.

Jun 18, 2010
IMG-5917_zps20uzid4u.gif

IMG-5917_slow_zpscdezxmdm.gif

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Carly Hoover at LSU does not have a backswing and does pretty well for herself, but she has much longer levers than your DD. I would work to maximize leg drive and whip. There is more potential there than there is in her backswing.

Jun 18, 2010
With a hide-the-ball pre-motion, you have to be careful to not let the arms get ahead of the legs. When the arms get ahead of the legs like you see above then you have an issue with timing.

We work on Arm Mechanics, Drive Mechanics, then work to put it all together in a full pitch.

Regarding her arm mechanics, it is hard for me to provide any meaningful feedback. The quality of the video is very poor. I can't tell, even stepping through the video one frame at at time if she is getting good IR and Arm whip.

Regarding her drive mechanics,
-does her pre-motion promote the feeling of a running start?
-does she get into a good sprinter's position?
-is she getting a good weight/momentum transfer?
-at 3:00 you look to see if she is detaching from the pitcher's plate with good drive and stride leg extension.
-does she create a firm front side as she lands?

Regarding putting it all together,
-currently, she has timing issues (mentioned above).
-does she have a good posture that promotes brush interference?
-does her drive leg come through forcefully, or is it left behind hindering a firm front side?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00