Summer softball camps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
If we could afford the time and money, we would love to take my DD to a dozen or so college softball camps this summer being put on by the individual college softball programs. But we can't. Another option is to attend a large camp being put on by a private company (Legit Softball Camp, Showball Showcase Camp, etc.) where it is advertised that over 50 D1 coaches will be there to work the camps. Anyone have any experience with these camps? Any opinions on whether they are worth it? Seems like a good way to perhaps get some broad exposure.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Just a personal opinion here...a lot of good teams are accepted to the big time showcases with several committed players. Some of these teams are open to picking up unsigned players. It only helps attract more coaches to their games. Look at the tournament websites for where to sign up as a pickup player - or just email some of the coaches.

Feb 16, 2012
My daughter will be attending the Legit camp in St. Louis this summer for the first time. I have heard a lot of good things about the camps so we will find out first hand. They are not cheap but if the college your DD wants to play for is there then it is worth the money. My DD is only 13 but she is going for the experience this year of being in front of college coaches. I figure the more she does it the less stressful it will be when it is important. Here is the link for Legit camps legitsoftballcamps.com

Feb 7, 2013
In general, summer softball camps are fundraisers for the school. My DD has attended a four day D1 summer camp and I'll summarize the good and bad:

Pros:
Practicing at a top notch softball facility
Coached by women who have actually played (or are still playing) the game at a high-level
Fun and positive environment
Exposure to college coaches (more important at the 14U and upper levels)
Practicing with kids from all over the U.S. and possibly internationally

Cons:
Parents could only attend a few select practices
Some of the current and former college players seemed not 100% engaged (i.e. they are required to participate as part of the school's softball program?)
Large group of kids per instructor, some kids could be left behind if not assertive
Some instruction flat out wrong (e.g. Pitcher DD, came back from camp slapping her glove against her thigh!)
High cost - $550 (including room and board 3 nights). I couldn't help thinking how many one on one lessons I could have bought for this amount of money:)

So for the younger players its about the overall experience, as they get older it becomes more about the exposure. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 1, 2010
My daughter will be attending the Legit camp in St. Louis this summer for the first time. I have heard a lot of good things about the camps so we will find out first hand. They are not cheap but if the college your DD wants to play for is there then it is worth the money. My DD is only 13 but she is going for the experience this year of being in front of college coaches. I figure the more she does it the less stressful it will be when it is important. Here is the link for Legit camps legitsoftballcamps.com

Hi, mosftballdad. Is your girl a 2018 or 2017? Their website says the camp is for HS students, but then they have a box to check for 2018 as the graduation year. Seems like contradictory info! Mine is also 13 yrs old and only a 2018 grad. I was wondering if we were supposed to wait until next year when she'll be a rising HS freshman? I agree it might be nice to go early so that it wouldn't be so stressful later. Good luck to your DD!

Sep 18, 2011
thanks, all, but just to be clear, i'm not looking for feedback regarding softball camps at individual colleges/universities. DD has been to several and we know the pros and cons. I was looking for feedback regarding the large private camps (Legit, Showball, etc.). Here's an example:

Home

Thanks.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
thanks, all, but just to be clear, i'm not looking for feedback regarding softball camps at individual colleges/universities. DD has been to several and we know the pros and cons. I was looking for feedback regarding the large private camps (Legit, Showball, etc.). Here's an example:

Home

Thanks.

If you get a chance, shoot me pm please with some college ones you've been to, I have only found 2 possibilities in driving distance, but have not checked Mn yet. Thanks.

Apr 1, 2010
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD has been to the Riseball High Acheivers camp and it was very good, not to mention working out in front of coaches from colleges all over the NE.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619