Suggestions for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2013
We've been working on posture and a quicker backside. DD will be a second year 10 but has been playing 12u all fall. Pitch is with a 12" ball from 40 feet. Consistently 49-51 mph. I think the hand size with the bigger ball has been giving her some issues developing good wrist/finger snap.

Any help is appreciated.

10/8/14Syd

Apr 11, 2013
We've been trying to get the index finger and middle finger a little more dominant, so that may be the reason for the finger spread. She doesn't always get true 6-12 spin. when we focus on the index and middle finger snap it's pretty good.

Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do not tell them to snap, either. The wrist has a pretty relaxed posture and the ball rolls off the middle finger. I would suggest just letting her mature for a few months and not offer many suggestions. She looks great and her speed is above average.

Apr 11, 2013
Thank you. Maybe I'm explaining it wrong. The finger/release issue we are having is that she doesn't always get 6-12 rotation. It's almost more like a palm up curve type release. But then the occasional bullet spin shows up. So maybe it's just the 10 year old inconsistency. She has an older sister that is a decent pitcher and the competitive fires between them sometimes has me looking for the tree and forgetting the forest.

Thanks again.

Feb 4, 2010
My daughter rotated from a weighted ball to a 14" ball in wrist snaps and Tee's only. When she switched over to a 12" ball it felt like a 11" to her. It really strengthened her fingers too.

Feb 7, 2013
I would not worry about the 6-12 until she learns the peel drop.

I disagree. Most new pitchers learn a four-seam fastball as their first pitch. With this pitch, you want to achieve good, tight 12-6 spin (as seen by the catcher). Why wait to get good top spin until learning the drop ball? Remember the above fastball is essentially the peel drop. No reason to ingrain a different spin direction such as 2-8 on the four seam fastball and then have to change the mechanics to get 12-6 spin on the drop ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi