Suggestion for new pitching category

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I told Marc I would pose this question to the board and especially the other pitching instructors

What do you think about starting a new category for "Pitching - the very young beginners' or a title of that sort.

This would be one for the VERY young ones, even 8-year olds. Starting off the VERY young pitcher is a completely different world as far as instruction goes. I have seen instructors that were great with the older kids but did not have the patience, the communication skills or the personality a very young beginner needs.

If their first experiences are not highly educational, FUN and they dont connect with the instructor, they will NOT want to come back, lose interest and quit.

They also have to be taught good and safe mechanics. Depending on the individual kid, sometimes big adjustments have to be made because of size and / or handsize.

I think this would be a good addition because most of these kids parents are new to the sport too. They are both a little intimidated by what they realize they do not know yet and let's face it, who wants to sound less than informed.

Part of my first time speech included this statement, "There is no such thing as a dumb question, EXCEPT for the one that did not get asked".

What does everyone think?

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
Great idea!!! My DD is six and throwing. Started throwing at four, really picking it up at five, and looks damn good at six. All based on her age. Just the fact she can pitch and release and have it close at this age is fantastic. Had four or five strike balls in a row yesterday. Enjoys being taught by the coach. Was doing walk through pitches yesterday. It's all very cute and she absolutely loves it!

Oct 22, 2009
I started an 8yr old last fall.
She is so excited and hyper.

I guess step #1 should be "BREATHE!"

Mar 13, 2010
I would personally love it! Unfortunantly due to where I play, even the girls who have been pitching for two or three years need to be broken down and retaught the proper way. People tell me I have the knack for it, but I want to know as much as I can!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach many beginners. The youngest was 6 YOs. I have 2 13 YOs, that are beginners.

My lessons have changed over time, as I have watched girls that have been with me for a few years.

1st lesson is now OH throw and then, breaking the pitch down into 4 clock positions, while keeping their weight back. I don't even let the bending, leaning, bowling and thigh slapping start.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Having this topic on a different category would help me find things on the Forum easier. I think the category title would be something like:

Softball Pitching Beginning

May 18, 2009
I would tell the young pitchers to take a second on the mound and think about their pitch before they do it. Visualize what they want. The younger ones want to throw it as soon as they step on the rubber and look at home plate.

If you have someone that can catch for your DD while she's pitching you can watch how they set up prior to the pitch. It's hard to do if your the catcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish