Substitute Re entry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Is this different at all for the DP/Flex (as far as the flex entering on offense)?

When you are dealing with the flex playing offense for the dp, or the dp playing defense for the flex, you are dealing with only 1 of the players that has left the game. Per you question, if the flex enters offense to bat in the dp position, then the dp has left the game and must use a re-entry to come back into the game. The flex has not left the game and can simply move back to playing defense only. This can happen any number of times during the game as long as the coach has substitutes to fill the position. The dp/flex option never ends once it was made known at the beginning of the game, it is only limited by the re-entry availability of the players in those positions. And any eligible substitute can be entered into either position at any time.

It would be the same situation if the dp played defense for the flex, in that case it is the flex that has left the game and would have to use a re-entry to come back. The dp can simply move back to being the dp when the flex re-enters.

Feb 13, 2015
Simply not true. Any player in any position in the line-up or in the field may be replaced by a legal substitute at any time during the game
I see too many people think that pinch runner is the same as a courtesy runner. They think they can put a runner in and then the original player goes back on defense without a substition. That's why I posted that.

Why is it called a pinch runner rather than a substitution?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
A pinch runner is a substitute, pinch runner is simply a term that came into the game where they use a substitute to run in a "pinch" for another player at a critical point in the game. You are down by 1 run and your slowest runner just got on base. Do you leave them there or bring in a speedy sub from the bench to run in the pinch. Its simply a term used to describe the runner.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You were doing it right, as others have mentioned.

Do you get to rate umpires in Indiana? We do here, and it's a pretty great tool for identifying the umpires who get basic rules like this wrong. We rate 1-5, and there's a comment box (which you have to fill out if you give the lowest rating).

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
You were doing it right, as others have mentioned.

Do you get to rate umpires in Indiana? We do here, and it's a pretty great tool for identifying the umpires who get basic rules like this wrong. We rate 1-5, and there's a comment box (which you have to fill out if you give the lowest rating).

Yes, we evaluate for the state tournament. This was a first year umpire that was a coach last year that is why it surprised me and made me doubt myself.

Jun 22, 2008
Been at a minimum 15 years if not more if it were ever a rule only starters could reenter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414