Stupid Things Parents Say- Like you didn't see this coming!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2010
After trying for weeks to correct a bat drag issue with a 10U player that was 4' tall and maybe 70lbs:

Parent: Please don't mess with "Suzie's" swing. I've done slow-motion video analysis and frame for frame her swing is the same as Crystal Bustos."

Me: I'll never coach her swing again. (or her for that matter)

She still has the same "Bustos" swing at 16U

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
10U Rec ball a few years back. At pre-season parents meeting, I outlined my philosophy to end the season with each player a better ballplayer than when she starts.

Me: "So I'll use a revolving batting order through the regular season for each player to get similar numbers of plate appearances. Come tournament time, we'll try to win games so we'll hit 9 girls with some substitutions as appropriate. Parents, any problems with that or any questions?"

There were none.

During the regular season, several parents asked "how are you going to win this game if you're batting all the girls?"

And in the city tournament, several parents asked "why did you change the batting order?"

Jan 25, 2011
Our tourney team strongly frowns on that they want you to watch the base coach not the ball, keep chugging straight ahead and wait for instructions
Then they have a lot to learn. A smart base runner know right out of the box. Any ball hit to the outfield is a double until the runner rounds first at that point, the decision should be made. It is to late to wait for the base coach.

Jan 25, 2011
Respectfully, once you make contact don't even look if its fair just Haul booty down the line and let the first base coach tell you if your rounding for second. at least that's how we do it. Its different if you are already on base.
Sounds like a control issue to me. This sounds like a good time to refer to the Hanson principle.

Had to bring this one back up, as this question was asked of me at a tourney this weekend:

An interested parent of a kid on another team: "So, coach, I see your tryout dates for next year are set. How many returning players do you have? How many 'open' spots are you going to fill?"

Me: "Ummm .... you saw the dates. The tryouts aren't until August. I can answer those questions about a week later."

Mar 28, 2013
90% of balls hit to the out field in the air are outs or singles unless dropped. with a good outfield many balls hit into right field are maybe singles so if you are watching like I said Thanks for the extra steps love back dooring runners that make the turn without a clue. Hit a grounder, did the infield field it or did it get through, How long you watching? watching the ball leaving the bat tells you nothing, watching any longer just makes you slow. sounds like there must be a bunch of first base coaches needing training if the runner ever has to wait for anything. our D loves the ball watchers. we can bobble a grounder. drop a pop fly and still get the out cause they already know its and easy out and are dragging down to first. shot down the line most likely foul but blue calls it fair, oh ya I better run.at least when they walk back to the dugout they can tell their team mates I was really foul because they got such a good look at it. Till then we will gladly take all the out we get by base runners going on their own. Last weekend alone we tagged two runners out at third when they hit one in the gap, I guess at least they can say they blew it on their own. and the coaches can blame the player instead of themselves.

Then they have a lot to learn. A smart base runner know right out of the box. Any ball hit to the outfield is a double until the runner rounds first at that point, the decision should be made. It is to late to wait for the base coach.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
I see that on people's Facebook posts alot, usually with a video showing what was a missed single and then some overthrows. I have to sit on my hands so I don't type THAT'S NOT A HR!!!

In a tournament earlier this season we had about 3 "single w/ a 3 base error"'s in one day. By the time the 3rd one happened (in game 3) as they were all cheering at home plate and the parents are screaming way to go another home run... i'm coaching third and cant stop myself from loudly announcing "it is NOT A HOMERUN - it's a single with a 3 base ERROR"!!!

The umpire walks up to me (good dude) and says "did you REALLY have to go there" and shakes his head at me!

doh! :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2009
In a tournament earlier this season we had about 3 "single w/ a 3 base error"'s in one day. By the time the 3rd one happened (in game 3) as they were all cheering at home plate and the parents are screaming way to go another home run... i'm coaching third and cant stop myself from loudly announcing "it is NOT A HOMERUN - it's a single with a 3 base ERROR"!!!

The umpire walks up to me (good dude) and says "did you REALLY have to go there" and shakes his head at me!

doh! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean! I would stop the runner at 3rd just so there's no unearned fun!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Had to bring this one back up, as this question was asked of me at a tourney this weekend:

An interested parent of a kid on another team: "So, coach, I see your tryout dates for next year are set. How many returning players do you have? How many 'open' spots are you going to fill?"

Me: "Ummm .... you saw the dates. The tryouts aren't until August. I can answer those questions about a week later."

I really don't see anything wrong with those questions at all. If you had 10 returning players and needed 2 outfielder's, and my DD is an infielder, why waste my time and yours?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild