"stud" player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
DD has a catching coach. Just didn't have time to get in during school ball, but we get back in the swing of it and work hard during the winter months and then he fine tunes during the season for us.

I just dropped her off for a full team practice with this team. Coach's DD gave her a very cheery hello and introduced her to the rest of the team.

I want to give the team a chance and see where it goes. At 13, DD is 4'10" and 110 lbs. Not very big for a catcher, so she usually has to prove herself. She's quick on her feet during a game situation. He has invited us to play a few tournaments with them, so I hope she is enjoying herself at practice.

Oct 19, 2009
3'sDad, I have to ask, Why did she change her swing? Last year same thing with the JV team. The girls that played TB would just smile and say Yes Coach, but then hit like they were taught.

Don't always work that way. You spend your hard earned money to send your daughter to someone to teach proper hitting throwing, catching, or ETC. mechanics.

Then school ball, recd ball or whatever starts the coach teaches a different type of mechanics (one he/she learned 25 years ago) and insist on it being used. You practice daily with drills and the coach telling you are wrong with what you have been taught. The once good smooth mechanics turn into a half and half of the good mechanics and the new/bad. A bad game and then another and you loose confidence and it’s downhill from there.

Girls have a tendency to want to please and this sometimes works against them. JMO :)

3sDad

3'sDad, I have to ask, Why did she change her swing? Last year same thing with the JV team. The girls that played TB would just smile and say Yes Coach, but then hit like they were taught.

We played HS ball from Feb1 to late May.....when I say 1.5 hrs of twork, that was almost everyday. No short toss, just twork.that developed some bad habits..HS coach didn't know how to hit, but she tried to change my kid to straight linear..DD wasn't a bad hitter in HS ball, but once we got her fixed she hit an honest .460 in 16UA travel ball as a linear rotational mixture her College Instructor taught her at lessons .. Loooong story, but we' quit school ball entirely if we were in the same situation.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I purchased the NE catching DVDs and work with DD on a regular basis. She was pretty good behind the plate but had a week arm. A friend told me about a drill he used to strengthen his kids arm. 3 minutes at 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 and back to 60 ft. DD threw a rope to get a kid out this weekend, only one other attempted the steal. She blocked two and had two get by her but it's an improvement. She definitely helps her pitcher by the way she frames the plate. No pulling in pitches, just turning the glove to receive the pitch. It is a very important position that needs a lot more training than the other fielders. Thanks Coach Weaver.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I have not invested in the NECC dvd yet. I was thinking Christmas for her.

When we first started in catching lessons, I never realized there was so much to it. Now I cringe to watch a catcher doing some of the things we have been taught to NOT do. I am glad I went down the path to catching lessons as opposed to parking her in front of a pitching machine. Now I watch college games with her and point out that they are doing what she has been taught.

Funny thing, I asked her tonight, how she knew how to set up for those pitches (from OP). She told me from playing baseball on the playstation. HAHAHA! Well at least it was educational.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32