"stud" player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD went for her 1st ever tryout the other day.

After a very crappy school ball season, of which she only caught 2.5 games, she is very rusty (and nervous). And this is a private tryout.

So she is nervous and "scurrred" (in her words), but I don't think she did too bad. She was catching for a girl who is a year older (plays HS ball, we are in MS) and threw 6 different pitches. Some of these Ash had never seen before. Once she got the jitters out, she was doing better. Her bat was pretty good and her arm is good.

Afterwards he was evaluating her. Said he saw nothing bad. Yes there was things that could be worked on -- her pop up and release, but will take into account that this was without runners or other players and also that she was nervous and rusty (had explained the school ball drama).

So after her evaluation, proceeds to tell her that he thinks he has a "stud" catcher. And he is pretty sure he also has another. So she would probably be #3, but could get lots of playing time at other spots. And he uses the term "stud" repeatedly, which put DD's teeth on edge.

He then called me last night and told me that his "stud" cannot commit for fall, so he is not sure where she would be for spring either. And that there are 2 tournaments this month.

What would you do? I told DD that I think she needs to go to a full team practice and see what she thinks when she is not under the microscope and maybe pickup in the tournaments and see how it goes.

Cost-wise this is the most affordable travel team in this area for us and they are in with a really good organization. This will be a 2nd year 14U team that is playing both 14U and 16U tournaments.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Sounds like the "stud" isn't going to be there for this coach. Perfect opportunity for your DD to get some work in behind the plate and improve her game. If she wants to be a catcher, she needs to catch the better pitchers. I would play the fall season for the team and evaluate your situation again in the spring.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I also dislike the “stud” word but with that said they seem to be being honest with you.

“Your DD is a good C but I have 2 other Cs I am comfortable with so she might not see much playing time at C. She is a good Player and I want her on our Team she just might not C a lot”

If she did not C for her school and might not C for the TT maybe she should also address if she is a C, maybe another position would be better for her.

Anyways, get in the door and let her show her stuff in a more relaxed environment and remove the “stud” word from their current C.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
If she did not C for her school and might not C for the TT maybe she should also address if she is a C, maybe another position would be better for her.

Anyways, get in the door and let her show her stuff in a more relaxed environment and remove the “stud” word from their current C.

We all know not to put any weight in school ball. She started out as C. Then one of the other girls (yes players on the team) told the coach that my DD couldn't throw, so she put that girl in instead. 1st game my DD is catching, we beat the team 13-0. Next to last game of the season, DD not catching, same team, nearly lose it 4-3. Not saying my DD is the reason for the win, but when the C doesn't bother to stop the ball or hustle on a wild pitch, runs score. 'nuff said.

Thank you for advice. We are coming from a weak league ball team and are ready to up the game. She doesn't like being the best on a weak team.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is always underappreciated at the start and needs to earn her spot; she has gotten use to it and enjoys the challenge. She has been lucky enough to be given an opportunity to earn her place, from what they were communicating to you it sounds like your DD will be too.

Oct 5, 2011
My DD was not a natural athlete she played rec ball as a youngster but was not that serious about it. High school came and she was cut her first year and then decided she wanted to play softball worked her butt off and made the All State team by the end of her high school days and now is playing in college. I would like to think I had a small part in this with all the practice and traveling but she was the one that made the commitment to being the best she could be and proving herself.
I guess what Im saying is if your daughter wants to be that so called STUD she can be but its got to come from her!!
Shes got a chance go for it!!

3sDad

99, Im from MS also...school ball is.....uh school ball...If I wasnt in the position Im in, my DD wouldnt play HS ball at all period, none, no way no how...

Bottom line up front...If you want your kid better...A. Physical conditioning (get a trainer at a MINIMUM of 2 days a week) B. get a Catching instructor....

Dont think a HS coach has the time to make your kid better...

At 14U and 16U especially in A-Class, shes getting into big girl ball...and catching is where the rubber meets the road....
You get her the best training you can...Then its all up to her

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Dont think a HS coach has the time to make your kid better...

Very true. My DD is 12U but I wanted to see what the older girls are doing at the high school. It's a reasonably big HS (1,200 students) so there should be a good number of players to pick from. But after watching 7 innings of JV ball, there was only one player that could swing properly. The coach knows the proper swing because I have seen her run clinics. It's certainly not making it to the players. The coach seems to have softball smarts, care about the players and she is willing to work. Must be the time constraints.

3sDad

Very true. My DD is 12U but I wanted to see what the older girls are doing at the high school. It's a reasonably big HS (1,200 students) so there should be a good number of players to pick from. But after watching 7 innings of JV ball, there was only one player that could swing properly. The coach knows the proper swing because I have seen her run clinics. It's certainly not making it to the players. The coach seems to have softball smarts, care about the players and she is willing to work. Must be the time constraints.

Its not just time constraints...Im not a huge fan of HS softball....but thats another thread...
Last spring it took me a month to 'fix' my DDs batting after HS ball...2.5 months of bad technique from a coach that didnt know diddly about hitting was worse than no practice at all..Not ALL HS coaches fit that description, but from my experience a lot do....Like I said, our situation has changed 180 degrees...If we were in the same scenario this Spring....she wouldnt play HS ball...her words, not mine, but I agree....

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
3'sDad, I have to ask, Why did she change her swing? Last year same thing with the JV team. The girls that played TB would just smile and say Yes Coach, but then hit like they were taught.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32