Stuck in Rec Ball Hell......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2010
Got stuck coaching in Little League against a coach that seems more concerned arguing and contesting every call rather than coaching her team up......is there any rule about the number of contested calls she can make, this is a little league program, in the Majors age division......

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
How good is her team? She could be trying to cover that part up by arguing. Other thing is alot of people just like to hear theirself talk.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
There is no rule that I am aware of that would limit the number of challenges that a coach may bring up with the umpire. If it becomes unreasonable, you may ask your board to step-in.

In general, the newer the coach the crazier they are especially when they are getting beat on the field and take it out of the umpire and opposing coaches. You, as the coach, have to remain the voice of reason and let the umpire and league deal with the issue.

After a while most of these coaches will not be asked to coach or will leave on their own.

Good luck this season.

Jul 26, 2010
I suggest calling this coach, now that it's been 24 hours or so, and setting up a time for you two to meet and chat about it. I realize that in this "information age" people often forget the value of communication, but that does not mean you have to forget to ;) Talk about it, but more importantly, LISTEN to the other coach, be objective, try to see it their way, and then have an intelligent conversation about what your thoughts are and how the girls might be best served.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Just be happy you only coach against this person and not With them. You probably only have to play them twice so you are half way done with her.

Sep 10, 2010
we have scrimmaged twice (15-3, 15-9), we won both, we will have to play a total of four times not to mention the end of season tourney, and yes she is already challanging everything....board is aware of situation, but allowed her back to coach because no one else wanted to...we play tomorrow night season opener...should i just go full throttle and let my team pound them or should i use this game as a chance to get my younger ones time in other spots, i have a team of young ones (8yo, 9yo, 10yo, with a couple of 12 yo)...i worry about other team players and their self esteem if we beat them too bad, players arent bad alot of older girls that dont know what they are doing, beacause of bad coaching...tried making contact no answer and/ or response

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do not stoop to her level. Smile, chat, laugh, high 5 the girls and let everyone play.

If an ump gets tired of it, maybe he could charge her with a time out. ??

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Take this opportunity to take the high road. When it appears apparent that you're going to kill them again, move your players around and let the inexperienced kids get a little more experience where they wouldn't ordinarily.
(In basketball and soccer at these times we'd find out who hadn't scored and the focus of the game would become to get other players to score.)

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
First time she questions a judgment call, she gets a polite but firm warning that arguing judgment calls will not be tolerated. Second time, she's on her way to the parking lot.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Work Blue a little bit. Between innings ask him/her what is the rule regarding repeated protests is so you are clear on it. Tell him/her they are doing a great job. Let blue know that you are volunteering for the kids just like he/she is and hope that we can just let the kids play ball. If Blue is liking what you are saying remind home plate Blue that he/she can ask the coach to return to the dugout and she has no choice. Blue has the right to toss the coach and even empty the stands. Blue may start to move things along a bit quicker.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish