Struggles with being consistant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This thread like all other "take a look at my DD's swing" threads displays the propensity for mechanical minutia. Always obsessive with mechanics. The way this question was framed, some very obvious questions that were never asked, like what sort of pitching or pitches does she seem to have trouble with? Since OP clearly stated his DD had quite a bit of success at certain times, the real question was why doesn't she have success at other times.

The answer could certainly have involved timing, vision, confidence, tempo, etc.. But no, pages upon pages of ignoring the real question, essentially denying the fact that she has success, and interpreting the question to be every other question: Please come up with some comparison of my DD to a major league baseball player with respect to mechanics. Does my DD look exactly like Cabrera?

My DD played with a player who had sub-optimal swing mechanics, yet she was a D3 All American. Successful at her level, no question. Close to her potential, not even close because of her mechanics, which never got fully developed because her first sport took priority (All American in that sport, too).

Bottom line - consider your objectives, determine if you're going to be held back from achieving them by your mechanics, and then act accordingly. Some are happy with good, good enough works for some, good as they can is the goal for others, including, IMO, most that spend any time in the tech hitting forum.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This thread like all other "take a look at my DD's swing" threads displays the propensity for mechanical minutia. Always obsessive with mechanics. The way this question was framed, some very obvious questions that were never asked, like what sort of pitching or pitches does she seem to have trouble with? Since OP clearly stated his DD had quite a bit of success at certain times, the real question was why doesn't she have success at other times.

The answer could certainly have involved timing, vision, confidence, tempo, etc.. But no, pages upon pages of ignoring the real question, essentially denying the fact that she has success, and interpreting the question to be every other question: Please come up with some comparison of my DD to a major league baseball player with respect to mechanics. Does my DD look exactly like Cabrera?

This thread like all other "take a look at my DD's swing" threads displays the propensity for mechanical minutia.
When a swing is posted on the Technical hitting thread and ask the question 'how to improve', I comment. I don't care about what pitching they face nor how successful they are. I simple look at the posted swing and make my comments based on that swing. The poster is 'free' to take my advice or totally ignore. I don't care.
Bottom line - consider your objectives, determine if you're going to be held back from achieving them by your mechanics, and then act accordingly. Some are happy with good, good enough works for some, good as they can is the goal for others, including, IMO, most that spend any time in the tech hitting forum.
'Good as they can is the goal' for my DD. I respond with that thought in mind for all posted swings.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The answer could certainly have involved timing, vision, confidence, tempo, etc..

I will agree that each of these things is important to hitting. In fact, I could probably rattle off a half a dozen other things as well. But mechanics are also an important aspect and is not isolated just to hitting. I have a close friend that is the offensive/defensive line coach for the local high school (State Champs last year, by the way), and he constantly talks about weight distribution, leverage, angles, etc. I never realized how much technique was involved in blocking and beating blocks until he started explaining it to me. The same can be said of any other sport I have ever been involved in. DD's pitching coach often talks about kinetic chaining and other mechanical minutia that is well over my head. Some people find those things interesting, some don't.

Nov 7, 2014
What did you change...or think you changed.
tumblr_occ9j9W3X91usf292o1_250.gif

Stare at the stripe on your DD's rear leg what do you see or NOT see......
ok you have got me your seeing something my eyes do not . or I have just seen it so long in her my eyes do not notice it .

Nov 7, 2014
when do you prefer your hitters gather and set I have tried to get her doing it earlier but she always resorts back to it being right around release and instead of loading the scap she more just loads the hands. but How would you get her to break her natural tendencies when in game swings take over?

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
When a swing is posted on the Technical hitting thread and ask the question 'how to improve', I comment. I don't care about what pitching they face nor how successful they are. I simple look at the posted swing and make my comments based on that swing. The poster is 'free' to take my advice or totally ignore. I don't care.

'Good as they can is the goal' for my DD. I respond with that thought in mind for all posted swings.

I am not sure what the implication is here. Are the aspects I mentioned any less technical than mechanics? Do they not belong in the technical forum? Are they not important to be "as good as they can"?

Nov 7, 2014
no Mr T all points you made are very valid and very technical . Just was out of context for the post. I had just watched my DD swing so long what she was doing I became blind to. Much like as you see them everyday and do not realize how much they are growing due to it. I just was looking only on a mechanical side of the issue only. RDB and I share very similar hitting philosophies however I know my DD's capabilities So he pointed it out and and I saw what I was not seeing. Now I take the things he saw and apply it to my DD's strengths and abilities. I do not believe in coaching out of a child there natural tendencies or being a cookie cutter coach. He made some comments about whether I was over coaching her because some of her movements do not look natural but in fact the very motions he is talking about are her uncoached movements. Not because I have not worked with her on some of them but because no matter how she swings on a t or how many times she swings on a tee her game swing is much different. So I take the Items that I know to be what I call absolutes and morph them with her natural tendencies so she is not overcoached. and yes I know some of her natural tendencies rob her of some power and timing. But she gains it in confidence :) but on a tee I try to keep her swings as fundametally correct as possible hoping that some days the rest of the things she does on a t start to blend in to her game swing .

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Learn to "time the pitcher" and then "time the ball". The link below will take you to a pattern and sequence "gif" at noontimebaseball. Very good resource to look at. "Pattern" will have numerous individual specific things involved. You will see high leg kicks, short leg kicks, etc. But each has their move started before you DD is starting hers.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/MajesticMassiveLaughingthrush.mp4

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA