Struggles with being consistant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
weird part is she usually hits outside the best especially the down and out but she gets thrown inside at the hands constantly or in and up

well let me be clearer she used to hit absolute rockets back side but not lately but she still hits them the best over the inside

Ok, if she does a decent job with outside pitches, that means she is capable of allowing the ball to get deeper. That's a good thing. For now, I would suggest focusing on the things that rdbass has mentioned.

Nov 7, 2014
pretty much am going that route , I removed the open stance which she showed up with after school ball , and put her more into a no stride which when front tossed will turn more into a up and back down movement with her stride foot . No matter what or how many times I swing her on a tee once the front toss begins she gets some kind of little stride movement. which does not bother me as long as it does not get to large. the shoulder angle has always been a challenge. on tee shes fine but once front tossed it comes back once she starts with the small stride :(

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
pretty much am going that route , I removed the open stance which she showed up with after school ball , and put her more into a no stride which when front tossed will turn more into a up and back down movement with her stride foot . No matter what or how many times I swing her on a tee once the front toss begins she gets some kind of little stride movement. which does not bother me as long as it does not get to large. the shoulder angle has always been a challenge. on tee shes fine but once front tossed it comes back once she starts with the small stride :(

In my opinion, she is adding this because it is what she is comfortable with. Every hitter is different.... I prefer to allow some individuality. It is also quite common to see differences between tee swings and front toss swings. The more often she can hit a moving target the better.

Nov 7, 2014
In my opinion, she is adding this because it is what she is comfortable with. Every hitter is different.... I prefer to allow some individuality. It is also quite common to see differences between tee swings and front toss swings. The more often she can hit a moving target the better.

absolutely I just try to limit to much of the movement on the tee so it is less in game swings. she is 5'3 and trys to drive out 9 feet when pitching shes always been that way and you absolutely have to keep an eye on it because it destroys her mechanics without her realizing it . so my way that works most the time is no stride while on a tee :)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
absolutely I just try to limit to much of the movement on the tee so it is less in game swings. she is 5'3 and trys to drive out 9 feet when pitching shes always been that way and you absolutely have to keep an eye on it because it destroys her mechanics without her realizing it . so my way that works most the time is no stride while on a tee :)

Based on this post, this may be something you would like. He is focusing on going oppo in this drill. He is limiting his lower body movement so that he can focus more on hand path and barrel path. Then he adds the lower body back in. Look closely at the placement of tee with relationship to his front hip.

2ij16xc.jpg

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA

Yeah kill movement and athleticism out of the swing, that's a good idea. Go down that path for a few years and let me know how it works out OP.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
This thread like all other "take a look at my DD's swing" threads displays the propensity for mechanical minutia. Always obsessive with mechanics. The way this question was framed, some very obvious questions that were never asked, like what sort of pitching or pitches does she seem to have trouble with? Since OP clearly stated his DD had quite a bit of success at certain times, the real question was why doesn't she have success at other times.

The answer could certainly have involved timing, vision, confidence, tempo, etc.. But no, pages upon pages of ignoring the real question, essentially denying the fact that she has success, and interpreting the question to be every other question: Please come up with some comparison of my DD to a major league baseball player with respect to mechanics. Does my DD look exactly like Cabrera?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...pages upon pages of ignoring the real question, essentially denying the fact that she has success, and interpreting the question to be every other question: Please come up with some comparison of my DD to a major league baseball player with respect to mechanics. Does my DD look exactly like Cabrera?

It's the Theological Hitting section. That's what happens here. ;) :p

Nov 7, 2014
I am very aware that if you can time a pitch it does not matter how you swing you can put a bat on it if you see it ... you see that on rec fields all over the country so she strives to get better every day and you do that with mechanics, which will help vision and timing. and I can pitch every pitch she will see in games. so she sees the different locations and pitches and speed changes now I do not throw in the 60's but I do hit middle 50's which will do when I throw from 40 feet:). but my original post is how she is inconsistent now when she was not last year. it was just phrased in the way I said it. and then RDB graciously pointed out the torso and lower half , which I had just simply said and sadly ignored or did not notice :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA