Struggles with being consistant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
she is drifting crap... she has a very high contact rate always at all locations but timing is huge issue at times

so no coil and she is drifting forward uhg and wrong attach angle in hips :(

Not sure what 'drifting' means but, your DD hits off of her front bent leg/front leg. Harper gets away with it not sure your DD will.
tumblr_obxcbdZDEs1usf292o1_500.gif

she has a very high contact rate /well she batted .450 on the season last year /
Then don't change a thing in the way your DD swings.
next 2 weeks she can not smell a ball.
Have her play every 3rd week:p
I didn't even get started on DD's lack of whip/'turning of the barrel forward'.
Take care and I wish your DD future success and your welcome.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

What can you 'feel' is your DD's source of 'power' in her swing.

Your DD has no coil...an no adjust ability with this swing. I'm guessing your DD does well when the ball hits the bat or your DD guess right. JMHO.

Looks like a very momentum based swing. As stated by others, I am sure she can hit a ton IF she times the ball properly. I am sure you have heard the saying "time the pitcher, then time the ball". My view of a momentum based swing is that the hitter is timing the pitcher, but loses the ability to time the ball. You are also correct concerning your statement about the angle of the hips. And that is typically a result of the momentum based swing (in my opinion). My suggestion.... Ask her to walk (yes, walk), but while she is doing it ask her about the mechanics of walking. Is she reaching with her front leg? Is she pushing with her back leg? Or is she falling and then catching herself? Then have her put the bat in her hand and try swinging again (dry swings) with the thought of allowing her hips to fall forward and then catching them with the front leg. As she gets adjusted to this, then start asking her to control that forward fall. The better she becomes at controlling that fall, the better her timing will become. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
Not sure what 'drifting' means but, your DD hits off of her front bent leg/front leg. Harper gets away with it not sure your DD will.

Then don't change a thing in the way your DD swings.

Have her play every 3rd week:p
I didn't even get started on DD's lack of whip/'turning of the barrel forward'.
Take care and I wish your DD future success and your welcome.

what I meant was she used to have a very high contact rate I did not mean it now but drifting is her body / hips coming forward during swing launch .

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
what I meant was she used to have a very high contact rate I did not mean it now but drifting is her body / hips coming forward during swing launch .

drifting is her body / hips coming forward during
Your DD has no coill/FBC(forward by coil).
Your DD needs to learn to use her rear leg. This will help with adjust ability/timing while the ball is in the air.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
dmaeganx2,

Just out of curiosity, is your DD a pitcher? Her bottom half movement suggests to me that she either is or has been. Could be wrong....

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Compare the front leg of the above swing with that of the below swing. Also, watch the movement of the rear hip after swing launch...

kt6bq.jpg

Also pay attention to the front leg bend in your DD with no straighten..opposed to the pros bend..then straighten/locking out going into and through the swing.

Nov 7, 2014
dmaeganx2,

Just out of curiosity, is your DD a pitcher? Her bottom half movement suggests to me that she either is or has been. Could be wrong....

Is a pitcher yes and now that you point it out your right her legs are acting like or very similar to her pitching drive :( everything about her movement is moving forward the wrong way.

this is her swing in the first game of school ball this last season

Attachments

• SAM_1230.jpg
    SAM_1230.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 114
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is a pitcher yes and now that you point it out your right her legs are acting like or very similar to her pitching drive :( everything about her movement is moving forward the wrong way.

this is her swing in the first game of school ball this last season

Just a still shot, but I don't think she ever gets to this position in her current swing. As rdbass mentioned, all you need to do is look at her straight front leg.

Nov 7, 2014
Just a still shot, but I don't think she ever gets to this position in her current swing. As rdbass mentioned, all you need to do is look at her straight front leg.

no she is not there is way to much forward movement for her to get a good frontside or for her swing path to be consistant or for her to time it correctly :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi