Strike/Ball Ratiol

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
All these stats are analytical tools that can be used to determine why a pitcher may or may not have success. ERA is probably the most important...but a lot of non pitching factors go into that as well. Bottom line is the good pitchers SELDOM walk a batter unless it's a situation they can afford it. Strikeouts are nice...but I'll take GO- FO-BB-GO inning over a K-K-HR-K inning any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
Strikeouts are nice...but I'll take GO- FO-BB-GO inning over a K-K-HR-K inning any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Interrsting. I think over the course of the season I would take the strikeout pitcher because the other pitcher will also give up some big hits but hasn't shown the talent to get batters out without putting the ball in play.

Nov 18, 2013
Interrsting. I think over the course of the season I would take the strikeout pitcher because the other pitcher will also give up some big hits but hasn't shown the talent to get batters out without putting the ball in play.

I would think lacking the talent to keep the ball from going over the fence every inning would be more problematic for a pitcher. :)

Mar 1, 2015
at the end of the day, it usually comes down to WHIP. Balls, strikes, whatever it may be...it comes down to runners on base and WHIP is the best stat right now.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I think WHIP for fastpitch is a skewed stat because of slappers and small ball and the overall speed of the game vs baseball. I don't track this for my team...

1st pitch strikes are huge in my book...looking for 70% here at 12U. Any more than that and the batters are 1st pitch hitting the second time through...we track this stat for opposing pitchers and I'm certain I am not the only one doing that...

Overall B/S% should be in the 65% range +/- 5% IMO

DD2 has thrown no hitters at 55% strikes and at 81% strikes...she has also gotten lit up like the 4th of July throwing 77% strikes...CP

Aug 6, 2013
c) Someone said above "the goal of a pitcher is to put the ball in play...", I completely disagree with that statement

I think I was unclear when I said "Put the ball in play" - I couldn't think of a term for Pitching the ball that fit the statement - I meant it literally to 'put the ball in play' ...as to begin the play by pitching.

The important part of that was - "A pitchers job is to... keep the offense from gaining a base by what ever means they can" - I like strike out a lot - they are just harder to get then poorly hit balls

May 18, 2009
It depends on what your doing. Sometimes I call pitches that DD is learning if we have a lead and I don't care if they are balls or hits. I had DD throw pitches she is just starting to work on the other night. There were four or five weak hits off the pitches and a couple runs scored. Next inning she closed the game out in 10-11 pitches.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think WHIP for fastpitch is a skewed stat because of slappers and small ball and the overall speed of the game vs baseball. I don't track this for my team...

I agree that it can be frustrating when your team is giving up a bunch of hits on bunts, swinging bunts, slaps and slow rollers...last weekend my DD had one ball leave the infield and gave up 7 hits.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Level 1: Within catcher's reach at will (50% success rate).
Level 2: Ball or strike at will (± 50% success rate).
Level 3: Ball or strike at will (± 67% success rate).
Level 4: Best pitch top or bottom of strike zone at will (± 60% success rate).
Level 5: Best pitch in target quadrant at will (± 60% success rate).
Level 6: Best pitch on ± target at will (± 60% success rate).
Level 7: 2+ types of pitches on ± target at will (± 60% success rate).
Level 8: Best pitch on ± target at will (67% to 80% success rate).
Level 9: 2+ types of pitches on ± target at will (± 67% to 80% success rate).
Level 10: Super command, great movement & extremely effective at changing speeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma