Stride Leg Problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 20, 2009
Looking for some advice on pitching and how to fix stride leg problems. The problem I see with a lot of U-10 and U-12 pitchers is that when they pitch they often land their stride leg with a bent knee position as opposed to a firm front side thus eliminating the power they generated in their legs during their load and explode. This bent knee stride leg position landing leads to the pitcher falling forward and bending at the waist and usually a lot of high balls.

I would like to know if anyone has any specific drills to help teach these pitchers how to build that front side wall position with their stride leg so that they will push back against the earth when the stride foot lands. This would help them stay tall and keep their shoulders back.

It there any training aids on the market that address this issue. I was thinking about making some type of ramp/box with like a 45 degree angle facing them to put in front of these pitchers so that when they stride they will have no choose but to land on the ramp and push back. Anybody have a website or instructions on building something like this. Or is this a horrible thought.

Apr 25, 2010
I would have to disagree with what you're saying. DD pitches with a "soft" front leg. Not locked out. If you lock it out, you run a much greater risk of injuring the knee. She still "pushes back" from that leg, but with a slightly bent knee. She only throws high when she either hangs on to the ball too long, or leans forward trying to "throw strikes". If you just remind them to keep their chin behind their belly button, they should be okay. Sometimes, I do have to remind her to keep her shoulders back. But she has never had a problem with falling forward.

As I said, I think a lot of that leaning forward is when you have a coach telling the kid to just throw strikes.

If you can get Hillhouse on here to give you an opinion, he's an excellent resource.

Oct 20, 2009
Maybe I stated the issue incorrectly. I don't mean that they should land with a totally locked out stride leg. That would be very hard on the knee. However, I am looking for a method/drill to have them push back when the stride foot hits the ground to help generate arm whip. My observation of some of these young pitchers is that their head and shoulders get out in front of their stride foot because they let the stride knee bend too much when it hits the ground.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Just a thought here... i am not an accomplished pitching coach by any means so...take this for what its worth.

Look at her from behind. When the ball is at the 9o'clock position (glove hand & ball)..are her shoulders too closed? Are her hands pointing left? Did the ball path from presentation to k position go along two different planes, one being to far left? Is she stepping left of the power line a little to much?

I ask because I have seen this twice now...the latest being this one young pitcher i offered to help from our old school, her mother contacted me couple weeks ago to help her and i filmed her last week. She played for me on a summer team year before last and had to have knee surgery before her second game...(did it putting on shoes). She played this year with her team and did great...went 9-3 and they won every game she pitched.

She does this bent knee and body bend at the hips now.

It basically went this way. Great prelaunch position...then steps with shoulders fully closed and both arms (glove/ball) pointed left of the catcher. That means her upper body is rotated left compared to the hips which are trying to open...uh...body says "I don't think so"...so she steps left of the powerline (the only place her body will allow her to step)into the k position....again the body says..."there is no way i can get my arm swing in line with the catcher from here"....so BEND OVER and it does. It has worked for her as far as winning...forget about the shoulder pain, neck pain, headaches and lower thoracic pain that she has had.

I could work on her about not bending leg and hips...all i wanted to..and it wouldn't of mattered because.... the body couldn't do anything else to get the throw to the catcher. I also might not of caught this without video because she is pretty quick.

All she will have to do is get aligned properly (glove/ball pointed at target & shoulders starting to open with hips) at the 9 o'clock position...and this will help her get into a correct k position (3 oclock position) and then a correct upright release position.

I would think if she is perfectly aligned at those positions..that she should be able to get to the release point easy and FEEL where she should be at that point.

just a thought.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Research hamstring and core work. Made a big difference in my dd's front side stability. Those hamstrings vs. quadriceps have quite a bit to do with how the knee works in relation to having a strong front side.

Thanks Howard.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Research hamstring and core work. Made a big difference in my dd's front side stability. Those hamstrings vs. quadriceps have quite a bit to do with how the knee works in relation to having a strong front side.

Thanks Howard.

I find this to be true. Its the pelvic stabilizing muscles (core muscle group) that need the strength first imho.
With most activities (ie pitching) if it isn't technique (mechanics) you should look next at function (strength, muscle balance). I would bet a dollar that these 10-12 yr olds that throw 42-50 mph (or whatever) are much stronger in those areas than the ones that aren't throwing that fast. This is why the big-tall 10 yr girl can throw faster. Its not her size or the arm strength.... its the core and pelvic strength compared to the smaller girl.

I would also highly recommend not forcing someone at that age to get into a position by a gadget as they are developing muscles and joints.

There is a reason they bend..you have to find what it is.

Sep 3, 2010
Ok, U will think I am crazy, but it worked for my DD. My DD started doing this because she was trying to "place" the ball. After telling her over and over to finish her pitch with shoulders back and square. I decided it was time to improvise! It is a little redneck i have to admit, but I wanted to fix the problem right then! I took an old hitting tee, (the kind that is hard rubber, but still flexs some) and cut a wedge across the top to set a plastic clothes hanger into. Then I duct taped the 2 together. We put it down the back of her shirt and put a belt around the bottom to hold it in place! Then I had her do the drill where she stands in the K position and closes the pitch she had to stand tall at the end, she said it felt weird, but it didn't hurt or anything! 2 days of about 40 of the K warm ups & she improved alot! Hope this helps! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy