Stressing Out-In a Pinch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
So going to all-star this season and faced with a serious dilemma. originally was going to go with a roster of 12. However had one parent tell me that they couldn't commit, cause of vacation. Ok fine, put me down to 11. Have another kid on the team that the parents are in a nasty divorce, and one of them has a restraining order against the other. So now down to 10. I have one more who has now missed two practice, and I am considering dropping her. So now a roster of 9. Looking at this alternate to take, however she lacks talent, with the exception of base running.

Do I take the alternate and move the team up back to a roster of 10? OR do I break the bad news to the girls and tell them that we are just not going to All-Stars? Even though they committed all this hard work, sorry we can't go........

Challenges, challenges, challenges..................

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Take the alternate. Everyone will be better players because of the experience. Even if you lose every game, there's a lot to be learned, friendships to be built, and fun to be had.

Also, find out what's going on with the one who has been missing practices. Maybe there's a very good reason that is out of her control.

Just curious...What area of So Cal are you in?

Last edited:

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
Take the alternate, use her as a runner. For the one that missed 2 practices, does she get one more strike or is she really off the team? Having 9 is tough, but at the same time could pull the girls closer as a team in facing that challenge.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I'm in a similar situation...only started the team with 10 players at the 14U level. First tournament, one of my main pitchers had to miss the elimination round. We played with 9. This next week, I'm down 2 pitchers on Saturday, but will get back one on Sunday. I "promoted" two players from the 12U team up to play in 14U (12U had an off week plus has 13 on their roster). Neither of these players is of the same caliber as who will be gone, but we get to play and have some fun at another tournament.

Weekend of July 4th, I'm going to be down 2 of the best players on the team, an AC, and possibly a backup pitcher and a utility fielder. Am I going to not play in the tournament? Hell no! I'll find girls to play one way or the other. Maybe we only play with 8. With luck, I get back to 10. Maybe I have to have a kid coach 1st base since my AC won't be there. But one way or the other, we are going to get on the field and give it our best.

Be creative. Find players. Find a little sister who wouldn't normally make the team. Find a player to play in one or two tournaments who didn't think they wanted to play post season but is now missing out. Draw up from a lower level within your organization. But get the girls on the field. It is about them playing and learning. Winning is just an added bonus if things fall your way.