Strategy 10U B. Runner on third and walked the batter.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This is kind of a two headed monster. Runner on 3rd: If you're on offense, why would you give up the out, knowing that your baserunner is going to be standing on second one pitch later? Why as a defender are you worried about the runner going to second knowing they will be there one pitch later? Any decent coach is going to have the take sign on to get the runner over knowing the catcher isn't throwing down with a runner on 3rd. The older the age group, the strategy might change a bit, but at 10U, unfortunately in most cases, you give up the run for the out.

Defensively, it's about getting them to do the situation right. Sure, the baserunner will probably make it down to second anyway, but having your defense execute the play when the coach calls it is much more important than stopping a girl from getting to second or giving up a run. Eventually they'll add layers to it like I saw (I think Auburn one of the SEC schools do recently) where the short stop covers the throw from home to second and the second baseman flashes across and can either cut the throw and get the runner from third or let it go so that you can get the out at second. If all you do situationally is give up the base, all the kids will learn is to give up the base. Why bother throwing down to second on a steal if your catcher can't reach? Because you want them to learn to how to defend the situation, even if they can't get the out yet.

Sep 28, 2015
Lots of good points and thoughts on this.
What I don't get is when coaches have the OP situation and a struggling pitcher and the coach concedes the base......so of course Pete keeps falling out of the boat. I like having set plays to either get R1 out with a throw from F1 to F4 or 2B (no play attempt on R3), bait R3 with F1 going after R1 with the only intent to throw home for R3 once she breaks, or F1 throw to F4 (with 1 lucky swipe at R1) but the focus is throwing home.
Offensively it has to be a really tight game going against a good pitcher/catcher to make that run worth an out.

May 17, 2012
Offensively it has to be a really tight game going against a good pitcher/catcher to make that run worth an out.

Having coached at all age levels and having felt the way a lot of you feel about just letting that runner go to second I will add this. The 'Run Expectancy' difference of first/third vs. second/third is really SMALL. In other words the amount of runs you would expect to give up from having runners and first/third vs. second/third is roughly the same regardless the number of outs.

I didn't say equal, obviously second/third the number is higher but as I recall in softball it's less than 1/2 a run.

The only way to screw up first/thrived is to give up a run trying all of these exotic defenses to stop it.

Feb 7, 2013
Having coached at all age levels and having felt the way a lot of you feel about just letting that runner go to second I will add this. The 'Run Expectancy' difference of first/third vs. second/third is really SMALL. In other words the amount of runs you would expect to give up from having runners and first/third vs. second/third is roughly the same regardless the number of outs.

I didn't say equal, obviously second/third the number is higher but as I recall in softball it's less than 1/2 a run.

The only way to screw up first/thrived is to give up a run trying all of these exotic defenses to stop it.

One thing to keep in mind in 10U "B" is passed balls and wild pitches are frequent and the above statistics go out the window as baserunners are frequently scoring without a hit. As a general rule, if you can get an out, make the out. As the players get older and better, the continuation to 2nd on a walk becomes almost obsolete.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
One thing to keep in mind in 10U "B" is passed balls and wild pitches are frequent and the above statistics go out the window as baserunners are frequently scoring without a hit. As a general rule, if you can get an out, make the out. As the players get older and better, the continuation to 2nd on a walk becomes almost obsolete.

I certainly agree with that.

Our last game we scored 17 runs. 14 of those runs were scored on a passed ball/ wild pitch, 2 runs were scored on hits, and 1 run came on a error. 5 inning game with a max 5 runs per inning. So far we have been fortunate, we have two pitchers that are averaging 1 walk per inning, that one walk usually turns into a run plus any errors usually turn into runs. Pretty much any batter that reaches base ends up at third base. We have not thrown out a base stealers so far.

The last game we played this happened 3 different times. R1 steals 2nd base, catcher throws ball down to 2nd base, balls gets pass everyone including the center fielder. R1 scores on the poor throw. It makes the coaches think why we should even throw the ball when that keeps happening over and over and over but how does not throwing the ball down further the teams progress? It don't. The outfielders have been taught to back up the throws from the catchers but i they sure seem to forget how to do it during a game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I certainly agree with that.

Our last game we scored 17 runs. 14 of those runs were scored on a passed ball/ wild pitch, 2 runs were scored on hits, and 1 run came on a error. 5 inning game with a max 5 runs per inning. So far we have been fortunate, we have two pitchers that are averaging 1 walk per inning, that one walk usually turns into a run plus any errors usually turn into runs. Pretty much any batter that reaches base ends up at third base. We have not thrown out a base stealers so far.

The last game we played this happened 3 different times. R1 steals 2nd base, catcher throws ball down to 2nd base, balls gets pass everyone including the center fielder. R1 scores on the poor throw. It makes the coaches think why we should even throw the ball when that keeps happening over and over and over but how does not throwing the ball down further the teams progress? It don't. The outfielders have been taught to back up the throws from the catchers but i they sure seem to forget how to do it during a game.

GB - sounds like your biggest bang for the buck short-term (i.e., game situations) and long-term (i.e., player skills development), would be to spend your 1st and 3rd and/or LBR/continuation practice time on blocking with your catchers while having someone else cycle through both your IFs and OFs practicing base coverage/receiving a throw and backing up (some of those OF may become IFs and some of the IFs may become OFs, so have them all practice both)!

May 17, 2012
That's my point. You would be better off focusing on other areas (blocking, throwing, catching) than designing some elaborate first/third defense.

No matter what defense you come up with if a coach REALLY wants to play that game there is little you can do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez