Strategy 10U B. Runner on third and walked the batter.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Of course we do! :)

I'll do my best explaining. If it's not clear let me know.

We teach our players something called cloudy and clear. Cloudy- can't see because the runner is between you and the target/thrower. Clear-both player move to the same side of the runner for a clear throwing lane. I'm sure everyone teaches this, but I have found naming it helps trigger the action. At a recent high school game I heard my former 10U catcher yell to my 10U first base person after a DTS, "You need to move to clear when the ball pulls me into foul ground."

The reason Pickles work for the runner is because they are allowed to jockey back and forth creating many throws and possible obstruction calls. The key is to make them sprint. Once they sprint the defense gains an advantage, because it becomes much harder to change direction.

To be successful you must believe you are going to get the out. If you believe you can execute the one throw run down then you have to be willing to break from the age old "always run her back to the previous base-never chase her to the next base." Running her back to the previous base only matters if you plan for the runner to be safe. I'm planning for her to be out. I don't care if she's out running toward second base or third base- just get her out.

How to:
So a runner gets caught between bases. Lets use 3rd and home for the explanation. Who ever has the ball must sprint at her we will pretend it's 3B. You want to tag her out. You must stress that. The tag out makes a zero throw run down. When the fielder sprints the runner sprints. The runner now has her back to the ball and is in the dark. C and 3b must make sure that they have moved to clear. If 3b can not tag the runner they make the easy throw to C for the tag out. The timing of the throw is essential. If the throw is too early you'll create a pickle, but due to the fact that the runner is on a dead sprint and can't see when the throw is made your catcher should be able to run and tag her. If timed right the catcher will have an easy tag out.

The keys:
Both fielders be in clear.
Make the runner sprint.
Don't make the throw too early. It must be late enough for the tag, or the receiving fielder to catch the runner as she slams on the breaks to switch directions.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Throwing to 1st wont stop the batter/runner if the team is smart. Even on a walk the batter/runner is entitled to run straight through first base without liability to be put out. F3 may have the ball but the batter/runner can simply run straight through the base toward right field and then make a wide turn toward 2nd. Now F3 has to decide to chase after the batter/runner, throw to 2nd to put them out or concede the advance to 2nd and hold the runner at 3rd from scoring.

Even if the batter/runner stops on first, they can legally start towards second when the 1B throws the ball back to the pitcher.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
You are correct, although I've never seen anyone try that. I'd also like to see someone do it from right field like Comp described. You know fans would be going wild screaming about being out of the baseline.

Of course these ideas probably wouldn't come to a coach on the fly. It'd be one of those things you do the second time around.

I've not had a lot of experience, but once we were at a tournament where there were some TB and RB teams and I was coaching a RB team that was seriously outclassed but we did have a few solid players. After watching the pass through to 2B on the walk a couple time, I had F2 immediately fire back to F1 who was our best athlete on the next one. F1 took the ball to the 1B side of the circle and waited and BR rounded first on a jog to 2B. After BR got about 5-6 steps towards 2B, F1 sprinted straight at her. BR froze in a panic and F1 almost got there for the tag but....runner on 3B headed for home. F1 immediately turned and fired home and we got the runner at home. I think the BR wound up at second, but that put a stop to the free pass on the walk. Does nothing as far as the steal on the next pitch, but it was nice to put a stop to it for that game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Until you are at the level where your catcher can prevent the stolen base on the next pitch, there are much more productive things you should be spending your practice time on. You know, fundamental things like throwing, fielding, hitting

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
We have our 2nd baseman move up and throw the ball to them instead of the pitcher. The runner on first will usually steal on the next pitch anyway, but we hope the player on third will go when the catcher throws the ball and then we can get them in a rundown.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I've seen where you fire the ball to the P have her look at 3rd, have 2nd cheat up towards baseline when the batter/baserunner turns to go to 2nd someone gives a cue, you fire it to 2nd base who either makes the tag of batter/baserunner or fires home to get the girl leaving 3rd. Like any kind of play it's only as good as you preform it. I've seen it work out for a double play, I've seen it work that that the ball sails into RF and both runners score.

Jun 12, 2015
We have our 2nd baseman move up and throw the ball to them instead of the pitcher. The runner on first will usually steal on the next pitch anyway, but we hope the player on third will go when the catcher throws the ball and then we can get them in a rundown.

We try to get girls in run downs all the time. Our girls are pretty good at executing them so if we can get the girl caught we've got a good shot at an out. Run downs are really fun to watch and I imagine the girls enjoy them too. I captured this pic last weekend at our fundraiser game. I thought this one was pretty cool :D

IMG_6416.jpg

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
This is kind of a two headed monster. Runner on 3rd: If you're on offense, why would you give up the out, knowing that your baserunner is going to be standing on second one pitch later? Why as a defender are you worried about the runner going to second knowing they will be there one pitch later? Any decent coach is going to have the take sign on to get the runner over knowing the catcher isn't throwing down with a runner on 3rd. The older the age group, the strategy might change a bit, but at 10U, unfortunately in most cases, you give up the run for the out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez