Strangest thing an Umpire has said to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
"Parents should not be allowed at games." To which I responded, "I really hope you are declaring the pay at the plate fees you receive on your tax returns."

Was the umpire as confused by your response as I am?

Was the implication that the parents pay the fee and therefore have paid for the right to attend the game? Was it just unsolicited tax advice? I’m just not seeing the connection.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Its the parents who afford there kids playing...which pays the blue.
No parents, no pay.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Ok. Just a weird way to say "I pay your salary" I guess.

Though there's plenty of games I'd have gladly forfeited the fee to have the parents removed.
Equally weird to say parents shouldn't be able to attend games!

Lol umpires get paid to deal with it!
(Thats just snarky humor)
Reality is,
Good umpiring gets paid the same as bad umpiring...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Though there's plenty of games I'd have gladly forfeited the fee to have the parents removed.
So? In those situations are you bringing that to the attention of the coach?
know a lot of umpires will say if your parent keeps yapping I'm throwing the coach out of the game?

Agree there are times that the parents can be extremely terrible obnoxious.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
So? In those situations are you bringing that to the attention of the coach?
know a lot of umpires will say if your parent keeps yapping I'm throwing the coach out of the game?

Agree there are times that the parents can be extremely terrible obnoxious.

I've been pretty lucky regarding parents' behavior towards the umpire crew (only had a coach remove a parent in one game last year). Most of the bad behavior I see is things like parents yelling at / embarrassing their own kids, their own coach, each other.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I've been pretty lucky regarding parents' behavior towards the umpire crew (only had a coach remove a parent in one game last year). Most of the bad behavior I see is things like parents yelling at / embarrassing their own kids, their own coach, each other.
Agree with your observation on who's really embarrassing who!

Jul 4, 2013
I asked my daughter what was the strangest thing an ump had said to her when she was catching. She an ump once commented on her pitcher's "wicked riseball." She says "we were 12 and just trying to throw strikes."

Feb 15, 2017
RAD,

Probably better for its own thread, but wondering your thoughts on this.

I'm of the belief that the framing/receiving is far more than taking advantage of bad umpires who just look at where the ball is caught. I really don't believe most umpires stare at the glove after the fact and make a decision. It's way, way more about how the catcher receives the ball. A catcher who is calm and beats the ball to the spot makes pitches off the plate look better because they went where they were "supposed" to. IOW, a pitcher is getting rewarded for hitting her spot, and the catcher's receiving skill makes every (close) pitch look like it hit the spot.
My DD who is 14U is playing for a 16u that supposedly has high school catchers on the team. Neither of the two catchers can catch a drop ball. They sit too far back and don't move the glove forward to receive the ball. When the catcher routinely drops the ball and or catches way below the knee because they are so far back the umps typically call it a ball. The number of drop balls that are strikes and get called balls is ridiculous. A good three to four strikeouts a game.

I know it is hard to catch a drop and here's fall's off the table at the last second, but catchers have to catch, and I'm just some old dude.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi