Stopping the Clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
USSSA Rules.

I was watching a game while waiting for DD's bracket game to start and saw this play go down. Bottom of 6th, 2 out, home team up by 1 run. Batter hits a line drive that hits the pitcher in the face, no mask. Girl goes down immediately (if you want to debate pitchers wearing face masks please do so in the pitching thread, this is a rules question). The girl is in serious condition. Takes about 10 minutes for the medical staff to triage the girl and get her off the field. During the time she was being treated and about 3 minutes after being hit the 1:30 clock timer went off. Once the player was taken off the file the umpire calls ball game. Visiting coach protests that the clock should not have been running as this was an injury situation and the clock should have been paused giving his team time to possibly get the last out and start the next inning. Was the umpire correct or should the clock have been paused?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not sure what the rule is, but I've always seen the umpires either stop the clock or even add a few minutes back after such a pause. I doubt the official rulebooks say anything because they don't usually account for a clock. That's a local rule put in by tournament directors to get more games in on a limited amount of fields.

Mar 15, 2010
Not sure what the rule is, but I've always seen the umpires either stop the clock or even add a few minutes back after such a pause. I doubt the official rulebooks say anything because they don't usually account for a clock. That's a local rule put in by tournament directors to get more games in on a limited amount of fields.

I was thinking that this might not be covered by a rule but one thing I have learned from this board is to never assume anything when it comes to rules, there always seems to be something to cover every situation.

Jun 22, 2008
Locally we are instructed normal inuries that do not require emergency personell are considered to be normal parts of the game and the clock does not stop. However, if it becomes obvious the injury is more severe or the player cannot be removed from the field in a reasonable amount of time then the clock is to be stopped and restarted when play can resume.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's kind of funny because I was just thinking about this earlier today...

While there are rule books that say a clock may be used in games, I'm not aware of any rule book that offers any guidelines for administering the clock. They tell you how long a timed game should be and when to start the clock, but that's it. There is nothing about stopping it for injuries, lengthy arguments or the host of other things that might delay play.

Nor have I ever received any local instruction with regards to this. With nothing in writing, no published interpretations and no instruction on stopping the clock, it's no wonder that umpires might handle this in different and unexpected ways from one game to another!

With respect to the first post...when the coach "protested" that the clock was not stopped...exactly which rule did he think he was protesting (since there isn't one)?

Mar 15, 2010
With respect to the first post...when the coach "protested" that the clock was not stopped...exactly which rule did he think he was protesting (since there isn't one)?

From the little I could hear he seemed to be arguing the rule, "it's not fair". As an ump I imagine you are familiar with this argument.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Isn't the health of an injured player more important than one last at
bat to chase a $2 trophy?

As an umpire, luckily I too have not run across a similar situation, nor I have ever been instructed on what to do in this type of situation. Next tournament I call (Next weekend) you know I'll be inquiring with the UIC. :) Hopefully I'll never run across this situation.

Now, with that being said, in response to Coach JV, what does finishing playing or not finishing playing have to do with the health of the injured player?

The OP was talking about after the injured player was cared for and taken off under the care of professionals. The health of the injured player was not at stake from continuing or ceasing play so I don't understand your question.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Coaches trying to delay, and run out the clock was evidently a problem in USFA. They instituted a new rule last year that says the clock is to be stopped during any time out called during the last 5 minutes of the game. Haven't heard of any others doing it, but if teams like it, I wouldn't be surprised to see other sanctions do the same.

Mar 15, 2010
Got an update on the injured pitcher from a parent on her team. Fractured right orbital socket and a concussion. Apparently got the concussion when she fell. Resting at home. Very lucky girl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA