Stepped on a dropped third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2012
Don't remember the exact situation but essentially the batter swung at, and missed, a third strike. Ball hits the catchers glove and bounces off and hits the center of the plate (we get a lot of these for some reason). Just as it hits the plate the runner takes a step to run to first and steps on the ball. Her step on the ball causes her to stumble a bit and the ball gets pushed behind the catcher.

Catcher and runner recover but the throw to first is offline and would have been very, very close if it had been online.

Umpire calls interference on the runner.

Offensive coach argues that since the ball hit the catchers glove then hit the ground that she put it in plan and so no interference. Defensive coach was just thankful for the out.

Curious what everyone thoughts are on this since after seeing it once I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often given how many dropped third strikes we get.

Jun 22, 2008
Batter interfered with catchers ability to field the D3K. Interference and out.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Don't remember the exact situation but essentially the batter swung at, and missed, a third strike. Ball hits the catchers glove and bounces off and hits the center of the plate (we get a lot of these for some reason). Just as it hits the plate the runner takes a step to run to first and steps on the ball. Her step on the ball causes her to stumble a bit and the ball gets pushed behind the catcher.

Catcher and runner recover but the throw to first is offline and would have been very, very close if it had been online.

Umpire calls interference on the runner.

Offensive coach argues that since the ball hit the catchers glove then hit the ground that she put it in plan and so no interference. Defensive coach was just thankful for the out.

Curious what everyone thoughts are on this since after seeing it once I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often given how many dropped third strikes we get.

I have Batter-Runner safe. How can you call BI when the catcher caused it?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm probably wrong but I think it is a judgment call on this one. That is if the ump rules it intentional - interference batter out. If the ump rules it inadvertant - play on.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 8-2-F-6 Batter/runner is out when the batter runner interferes with a dropped third strike.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
:) I can understand it if runner stepped on ball already there. But the way the op was described it happened simultaneously. Just like when fair batted ball rolls into a bat. I guess live and learn for me

But I forget the rules aren't written logically, they were written by men. . .jk. . .;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard