Step Style Instructional Video/Book Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Peppers:
I should have also said there is most certainly leg drive, maybe even more so because many leapers land with a hop or with a very straight leg or sliding or too much on the toe. I can tell you personally there is no loss in velocity in the step style. I would never change a pitcher who has suffered an injury, but most importantly, one who is highly successful the way she does it.

Do you happen to have some video of step-style? I'm having a hard time visualizing a strong drive in step-style without dragging.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think I'm getting it now. The timing is very different. The push doesn't come until much later--like when the arm is coming down to release. Question: I get several kids/parents asking mid season for help, and I usually start them fresh in the L/D. There is usually some initial frustration, but with work, most get it down within a few weeks. Should I learn and teach S/D to these kids and get them through the season, or keep doing what I'm doing?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
There's not that much difference between step and L&D. People are making it sound like they are as different as the Polka and the Waltz. The timing of windmill and stride is a little different, that's all. I believe it's much easier to teach the mechanics of the delivery by using the step approach. And then it's a uncomplicated adjustment to the L&D. Ain't rocket science.
By the way, to interject a favorite topic of mine: The step does result in ball release anywhere from one to three feet further from the plate. So is that bad? I've read a lot of folks supporting the move to 43' from 40' as a means to allow movement pitches more time to break. So, doesn't the step delivery do the same thing?
Jim

Oct 22, 2009
My experience with step and L&D.
My DD was first taught step. In order to get leg drive with step, you will have to push more upward than forward, raising the stride foot high. Then drive the stride leg down quickly and add a vigorous hip shove at release.
A good way to put it would be, instead of just stepping off the rubber--step off like your MAD!

This worked well for my DD until 14U, then she HAD to make a move over to L&D for more power. All the better pitchers in our area that were throwing step, either changed to L&D or got left behind.

I can see how one could do well with step at higher levels, with a great combination of upper and lower body strength, but honestly I have not seen anyone.

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of issues young pitchers have closing the hips come from the fact that they learned step style first, releasing with the outside seam of their pants, rather then pitching open releasing along the front or inside of the thigh. Since release point is all-important for young pitchers, you may want to consider teaching them L&D first, even if they have to pitch "modified" at first to get the hang of it.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish