Step Style Instructional Video/Book Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2010
My DD is a beginning pitcher and I am interested in learning more about step style pitching. Can anyone recommend a good instructional video or book?

Nov 29, 2009
My DD is a beginning pitcher and I am interested in learning more about step style pitching. Can anyone recommend a good instructional video or book?

PHD,

I think you'll find the vast majority of posters here will recommend you look into having your daughter learn the leap and drag method of pitching, myself included. Bill Hillhouse has a series of videos on teaching pitching. There are others who also teach the same style of pitching. It is the style that is used by overwhelming majority of the top level pitchers in the world. The L&D style allows the pitcher to utilize the pitching mechanics to their fullest.

Mar 13, 2010
What is the step style pitching? It's one thing I've never been able to fully understand.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Step relies on the arm to generate speed--there is no leg drive. L/D not only adds speed, but it puts release much closer to the batter. I ask kids if they would rather pitch from 2-3 feet from the rubber, or 5-7 feet? Step style may give you strikes early on, but she will get passed up by L/D pitchers in time, then have to completely relearn to catch up.

Oct 19, 2009
Step relies on the arm to generate speed--there is no leg drive. L/D not only adds speed, but it puts release much closer to the batter. I ask kids if they would rather pitch from 2-3 feet from the rubber, or 5-7 feet? Step style may give you strikes early on, but she will get passed up by L/D pitchers in time, then have to completely relearn to catch up.

My daughter is a step-style pitcher and I disagree where the statement it does not use leg drive. Her coach teaches leg drive and does a great deal of work on getting the leg drive stronger. He also preaches, timing of the mechanics, pitching against resistance and driving to the plate. Most of the off season work has been on strengthening leg drive and she has seen an increase in speed.

She was sent to this guy by a doctor, because as a leap and drag pitcher she was having back and leg problems. I and more important she are very pleased with the results.

At 15 she was one of the top HS pitchers in her region, many of her coaches students are record holders iat area colleges.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
PHD;

If you live in Southern California, Bill Hillhouse will be in San Diego March 18-20 for clinics and private lessons. You can PM me if you're interested. If your DD is just learning to pitch, this would be a great opportunity.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
What is the step style pitching? It's one thing I've never been able to fully understand.

Lozza,

If I see a pitcher throw a pitch and the stride foot touches down BEFORE the pivot foot loses contact with the rubber, I have just seen a step style pitch.

If I see a pitcher throw a pitch and the pivot foot is PULLED forward of the rubber BEFORE the stride foot touches down, I have just seen a Leap and Drag pitch.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Mar 13, 2010
Thank you Hal. I thought I threw step style pitch but I wasn't 100% sure.

I don't know how step style is taught in America, but here it's all about the legs. Arm speed is important, but it's only half the equation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck