stealth drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Yes, I didn't post this on another thread so, wasn't my place to comment. I think I understand why RichK posted the gif. I had the same thought that is why I asked Knight for a gif of Brooke top half.

Sorry for the post and run of the two GIFS, I got pulled away yesterday...

RDB you are exactly right why I posted it (I also posted a grip/turn the barrel post in another thread that was related)....the two swings are great examples of pivot point/turn the barrel swings with great hand action....

Thanks for moving the discussion into its own thread.

Added: The two swings are also very effortless (though Crankermo's kid sure is strong) and have that same high back elbow in the set up and the focus on the barrel turn.

One of the best things Crankermo said was his cue of "getting behind the ball" as another option for "turn the barrel" -- I use that very much too and also think about that when taking cuts myself against a very fast pitching machine and figuring out how to use your hands to *get behind the ball* keeps the swing quick and short.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
RKirby_1stCollegeHR_vUSC.gif

Talk about heads spinning. Watch all the red caps take a hard right.....
too funny. I was about to post the exact same thing.... looks like a tennis match

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Since I was one of the ones that made comments about posting and not commenting, I say thanks for clearing it up.

I'm sure that the "hitting gurus" saw the similarities in the swings but a novice may not understand them so posting pics and not commenting leaves it open to interpretation. Again, thanks for clearing it up.

I like it. But I'm a nobody for sure! :)

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Sorry for the post and run of the two GIFS, RDB you are exactly right why I posted it (I also posted a grip/turn the barrel post in another thread that was related)....the two swings are great examples of pivot point/turn the barrel swings with great hand action....

Thanks for moving the discussion into its own thread.

I think there were more than a few of us here that knew your intentions, but didn't want to speak for you. That gif has been shown many times here, by supporters and detractors. It is often misused, by being referred to as a swing, as are other demos and drills with slow or exaggerated components. The great part of that thread is Brooke's swing; it's really cool to see a dad help his daughter reproduce the high level pattern.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Since RichK posted and cleared up the 'confusion:
br2_slow_zpsnmsrmcht.gif
RyanKirby_060813_Bells_hit.gif

qnl3ra.gif

I'm sure 'we' are all on the same page to try and help our DD's get close to the 'HL swing'.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
regarding the "push concept":

Usually when we say the swing is a "push" it means it is not high level so the arms get over-involved in generating batspeed and the swing loses quickness and and gets longer forced into a more forward orientation along the swing arc (loss of "early batspeed").

However, Williams thought the swing was a "power push swing" and we know ministealth has a high level swing pattern, yet the hand/elbow picture can be interpreted as a "push".

How to reconcile ?

Ideally, the swing needs to accelerate to max batspeed at contact with no precontact deceleration (mechanically, this minimizes timing error). If the top hand is not applying a "pushing force" (in the phyics sense) at contact, then the bathead is already decelerating ("thrown away early" as the golf analyst might say), since it is pulling the hand around, but this is NOT incompatible with the "all-in" early turning of the handle. The hands need to be applying force (diminishingly "active") all the way to contact and the way the wrists move to permit this is what the stealth type drill is all about, avoiding "wrist bind".

Stop swings and swinging to heavy bag in a way that encourages the absence/dissipation of all the pushing force at/by contact are also OK in this sense.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
regarding the "push concept":

Usually when we say the swing is a "push" it means it is not high level so the arms get over-involved in generating batspeed and the swing loses quickness and and gets longer forced into a more forward orientation along the swing arc (loss of "early batspeed").

However, Williams thought the swing was a "power push swing" and we know ministealth has a high level swing pattern, yet the hand/elbow picture can be interpreted as a "push".

How to reconcile ?

Ideally, the swing needs to accelerate to max batspeed at contact with no precontact deceleration (mechanically, this minimizes timing error). If the top hand is not applying a "pushing force" (in the phyics sense) at contact, then the bathead is already decelerating ("thrown away early" as the golf analyst might say), since it is pulling the hand around, but this is NOT incompatible with the "all-in" early turning of the handle. The hands need to be applying force (diminishingly "active") all the way to contact and the way the wrists move to permit this is what the stealth type drill is all about, avoiding "wrist bind".

Stop swings and swinging to heavy bag in a way that encourages the absence/dissipation of all the pushing force at/by contact are also OK in this sense.

Tom
That is probably the best post I have read by you. I totally agree with it....

SL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi