Stealing Restrictions on minors (10U) level!!??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Try presenting a logical progression of skills to the board. What I mean is that most will aggree that by 12U, the girls should be ready to play the game without any 'park rules' that differ from LLI rules. But this has to be a plan that starts with 6U T-ball.

Example...

6U Coach pitches 7 pitches to each batter. If no hit, hit off tee. Girls learn basic hitting and basic fielding.

8U Player pitches 7 pitches to each batter. If 3 strikes, batter is out. If 7 balls, coach comes in and throws 3 pitches to batter (1 for each remaining strike) if no hit, batter is out. No walks, no stealing, 5 run limit per inning. Girls learn beginning pitching, catching, and more advanced hitting and fielding.

10U Player pitches with walks/strike outs. Runners can steal one base at a time (no extra bases/penalties for overthrows on steals) but cannot steal home, 5 run limit per inning, 8 run limit in last inning. Girls learn more advanced pitching, catching, fielding, hitting, and baserunning.

12U Play by the rules. Steal any base, lookback rule, ball live unless time or dead ball called by ump, etc...

This type of a logical progression may make more sense to the board than just singling out 1 particular rule that you don't like. I'm not saying that you should use this exact example, but something simular that shows a progression towards a goal. You could also get a lot more detailed than I did or work with their current progresion and modify it.

Whatever you do, keep the girls developement as top priority. Good Luck!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've got one that tops the 10U stealing limit. Our 7th grade Middle School team cannot steal. Ever. DD is not playing MS ball this year.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
That is a shame. Our 8U girls pitch with walks half way through the season and in tournament play, all bases are "hot" except home. By 10U the only coach pitch they see is in practice doing front toss.

...and people wonder why California is loaded with talent...they, evidently, teach the girls how to play!

Jul 28, 2008
Just a bit of Little League rules information for you. Local rules only apply between local teams. When playing interleague games (teams out of your local Little League), all of the games are by the book. The local rules that the BOD sets do not apply and cannot apply without districts approval and even then, all the league's would have to approve. Since you mentioned other towns, I am assuming that your team travels out of your local Little League. Even their no stealing after 7 runs ahead is not permitted without district approval. You cannot force your local rules on other leagues.

Good luck

Sep 3, 2009
Just a bit of Little League rules information for you. Local rules only apply between local teams. When playing interleague games (teams out of your local Little League), all of the games are by the book. The local rules that the BOD sets do not apply and cannot apply without districts approval and even then, all the league's would have to approve. Since you mentioned other towns, I am assuming that your team travels out of your local Little League. Even their no stealing after 7 runs ahead is not permitted without district approval. You cannot force your local rules on other leagues.

Good luck

I'm aware of that. Our district allows for home team local rules to apply for inter-town games.

May 9, 2008
I read most of the replies to your question, but not all of them so if I'm repeating something, I apologize. My main argument for not having any regular season rules that differ from LL rules is simple. They won't be ready for tournament play. I've seen it before. The league that my DD's are in, years ago, ran Minors horribly, it was glorified Coach Pitch. Most of the 9 and 10 year olds that had any talent were moved up to Majors, and the Minors were 7 the 10 and barely better than T-ball. When these girls started practice for tournament play, and you tried to get them to steal, they would look at you like you had 3 heads, because they had no idea what you were talking about. I would also ask your DA if this rule implemented by the BOD is legal. There are certain rules that you are not allowed to conflict with. "Local League" rules are supposed to be because of field needs, they shouldn't restrict the playing experience of the players. Does the Minor League Baseball at your league have the same restriction?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez