Stealing Restrictions on minors (10U) level!!??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
10U Steal 2B/3B but not home. One steal per bad pitch/passed ball. Five runs per inning. No walk--coach pitch after four balls--no stealing while coach pitches. No limit per game.

12U--any thing goes, but 5 run rull still in effect. Limits on pitcher and catcher's innings played. Things get different around post season tournament.

That is a shame. Our 8U girls pitch with walks half way through the season and in tournament play, all bases are "hot" except home. By 10U the only coach pitch they see is in practice doing front toss.

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
tomzpc:

Your e-mail was very well written. I think the 3-steal limit is awful.

1-Teach fundamental skills
2-Be patient with girls/teams as they learn
3-Allow them to be challenged: don't make/use rules to restrict challenges
4-PARENTS:focus on the improvement of skills, not on the game results

Sep 3, 2009
For you guys who have no steals of home, is that for safety reasons? That's one I've never heard of.

Jun 18, 2010
For you guys who have no steals of home, is that for safety reasons? That's one I've never heard of.

For our 10U and 8U Rec leagues, they do not allow steals at home. They also had a 6 run limit per 1/2 inning. If they didn't restrict stealing home each 1/2 inning would end with the 6 run limit.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

It forces the kids to swing the bat. If a coach only has to wait for the next wild pitch or passed ball he will give his batter the take sign until there are 2 strikes.

May 10, 2010
Our league at 10U. 6 runs an inning. Home plate is cold, so you can only score on a walk or ball hit into play. No limits on steals. With home plate cold, that will limit the number of steals. I don't think our league does this for safety, but to keep the game moving along (with run limit). I don't think anyone wants to see a walk, then a girl steal 3 straight bases to score.

Oct 18, 2009
i think at 10u; in a non A level setting; stealing of only 3B seems to work well. Pitcher can give up a walk or hit without it automatically ending up scoring.

Sep 3, 2009
Our league at 10U. 6 runs an inning. Home plate is cold, so you can only score on a walk or ball hit into play. No limits on steals. With home plate cold, that will limit the number of steals. I don't think our league does this for safety, but to keep the game moving along (with run limit). I don't think anyone wants to see a walk, then a girl steal 3 straight bases to score.

This sounds reasonable to me, although my concern would then be that the pitchers are getting no experience at covering the plate on a wild pitch or passed ball. In my experience at coaching 10U we get more outs at home then we do at third or second because of this.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
This sounds reasonable to me, although my concern would then be that the pitchers are getting no experience at covering the plate on a wild pitch or passed ball. In my experience at coaching 10U we get more outs at home then we do at third or second because of this.

At 10U our local ASA rec league has DTS and a "hot" home plate. Puts a premium on having very good catchers and pitchers. A much more interesting and exciting game. Pitchers are limited to 9 outs per game so you have to develop 2 or 3 pitchers per team.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL

What would you and/or the other Managers like it to be?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez