Stealing Bases Backwards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I actually was watching a game last night and this sort of came into play.

R3 and pitch was a PB. Runner started home but realized she couldn't make it and retreated to third

C threw to 3B to try and get runner who hat the throw beaten but stumbled and over ran the base and was
tagged out. It got me wondering if the runner after stumbling could have just kept running back to second rather
than get tagged out.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No, she couldn't go back. She had already established herself at third prior to the pitch. Going back to second would be running the bases in reverse order.

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
No, she couldn't go back. She had already established herself at third prior to the pitch. Going back to second would be running the bases in reverse order.

Never considered this before. ASA and NFHS have basically identical wording on running bases in reverse order: "to confuse the fielders or to make a travesty of the game". If runner legitimately ends up between 2B and 3B I can't see why she cannot retreat toward 2B to avoid a tag. Does not seem to fit the confuse/travesty threshold set by the rules. But it would be weird. Weird is not necessarily illegal. :)

Jun 22, 2008
Actual play I saw years ago. Runner at 2nd, 1 out. Batter strikes out and for whatever reason both teams actually think it to be out number 3. Defense starts running off the field and runner heads for dugout. Suddenly the defensive coach realizes the error and tells them to get back out on the field. Before the runner steps into the dugout she also realizes it was only 2 outs and starts to head back to base, but defense has already made it onto field and pitcher has ball. So, runner just quickly runs over to 1st and stands on the base. Was ruled to be legal and runner was allowed to stay at 1st.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs