Staying Fit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the pinch hit softballphreak. It's been a busy weekend.
Sure it can be done. It's a goal not a starting point. It's really only a 15 minute set with 15 minutes rest. I peaked at 30 minutes about 10 years ago. It sucks to get old. I'm down to 15 mintues these days. My burpee includes the push up and the up on my burpee is to the pull-up bar for one rep.

How many burpees do you do in 15 minutes?

We are talking about HS kids. I doubt many, if any, HS kids can do 15 minutes of non-stop burpees. That would be an awesome feat for anyone. The Ross training guy might can do that many.

Mar 13, 2010
Lol I can do 5 burpees in a row before I almost die!

Anything with push and pull exercises is great. You also need to do twist exercises for obvious reasons! I know there's a program out there called 'Weight Lifting for Softballers' A GREAT general strength based lifting book is 'New Rules of Lifting' I've just finished reading it and it's wonderful. Goes into detail about it's methords and then gives you plans to use. I'm currently trying to get my hands on the women's version but no luck!

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
How many burpees do you do in 15 minutes?

We are talking about HS kids. I doubt many, if any, HS kids can do 15 minutes of non-stop burpees. That would be an awesome feat for anyone. The Ross training guy might can do that many.

It's not non-stop. 30 seconds of Burpees then 30 seconds active rest, repeat 15 times. I thought I mentioned that in my OP, sorry if II omitted that part. The first few cycles it's about 6 or 7 Burpees by the end it's more like 2 or 3 with Mr. Pukie chasing me down. Think Tabata Protocol. It's ATP energy system recovery training.

Again, it's a goal. Try it, find out where your at, 5 min or so, set a new goal of 7 minutes. Try to improve every session and when 7 minutes is attained 4 or 5 session in a row, set the new target at 8 minutes. It took me 6 years of practicing this 3 times a week to get up to 30 mintues when I was at my peak fitness level.

My 13 yo DD started at 4 minutes about a year ago and is up to 6 minutes. (no pull up) She also does a 10 minute set 30/30 of 15lb KB swings. This fall, (most likely) when she hits 12 minutes she'll move up to a 20lb KB and start over.

I understand the age group we are talking about.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
It's not non-stop. 30 seconds of Burpees then 30 seconds active rest, repeat 15 times. I thought I mentioned that in my OP, sorry if II omitted that part. The first few cycles it's about 6 or 7 Burpees by the end it's more like 2 or 3 with Mr. Pukie chasing me down. Think Tabata Protocol. It's ATP energy system recovery training.

Again, it's a goal. Try it, find out where your at, 5 min or so, set a new goal of 7 minutes. Try to improve every session and when 7 minutes is attained 4 or 5 session in a row, set the new target at 8 minutes. It took me 6 years of practicing this 3 times a week to get up to 30 mintues when I was at my peak fitness level.

My 13 yo DD started at 4 minutes about a year ago and is up to 6 minutes. (no pull up) She also does a 10 minute set 30/30 of 15lb KB swings. This fall, (most likely) when she hits 12 minutes she'll move up to a 20lb KB and start over.

I understand the age group we are talking about.

That sounds more reasonable. That's still quite a workout. We usually do 2-3 one-minute non-stop burpees spread over about half an hour. They do about 12-14 burpees in a minute non-stop. Doing much more than that would be more of an endurance thing. Endurance isn't that important in softball except for the pitchers and catchers; and they work more than the other positions just at what they do.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Agreed on the endurance thing. Though there is benifit to ATP system training for postition players, but it's not as critical. They tend to get more and longer breaks in output during a game than pitchers and catchers.

Dutch and my kid are pitchers. I see value in some sort of Tabata protocol training for both to help them train thier system to recover faster to help them perform at peak for longer. Burpees and swings work for us, any excercise done in the proper way will improve recovery efficency, it really depends on what you want to also improve upon while doing the intervals.

Good talk SBPH. Swings, Lovelace core training and agility ladder drills are pretty much my sacred cows for ball players that want to increase thier athleticism. Do you have any? Any must do type excercises that are skills specific I might not have though of?

Oct 25, 2009
I think we covered most of the ones we do. We didn't talk about medicine balls and there are many exercises/drills you can do with those.

Also, the sled can be used for rotational exercises; with lighter weight you can do explosive rotational pulls.

Jump rope twisters are good core exercises, also.

May 5, 2008
My DD is skinny and small and did P90X with us at age 13 with just her body weight (no weight lifting). Then she did Insanity. This summer she did Insanity Asylum which is CRAZY (but has LOTS of speed and agility and core stuff in it)!!! She also did GSP's Rush Fit workout which is actually kind of fun and more at the "beginner" level than those BeachBody workouts.

Barry's Core Training stuff is GREAT! Can grab his core workout created just for softball players at SoftballTeamTraining.com

Oh, and just the thought of burpees for 15 minute made my want to vomit. lol

15 sets made much more sense.

The GSP assessment test is awesome. It's only 5 minutes long, but includes burpees and just 3 other exercises, but it kicks butt. That's the first time I saw DD so close to tears during a workout. I seriously thought she was going to cry because that thing kicked her butt so bad, but she didn't. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes