Stay "B" or go "C"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Hello everyone,

After reading the thread about someone wanting to start a travel team and questioning whether or not to do it, I did. The problem is that we are a young 16U team that will have the opportunity to play 16U next season (2014-15) as well. Quite a few of the "B" teams in this area (NoVa) should be "A" teams but aren't and there are only a few, like 4, "C" teams. Position and hitting wise, we are a solid "B" team. Pitching we are definitely a "C" team.

I have found this conundrum where I could be reclassified as a "C" but get stuck playing the same teams over and over. I feel like I can't be the only new inexperienced 16U team.

The question is do I stay a "B" and be competitive against the teams I think we can be competitive against and get slaughtered by the teams that have typically a phenomenal pitcher (and not much else which seems to be the key around here) or go and play the same 4 teams again and again.

The statement about pitching opens up a whole knew can of worms for me but that is for an entirely different thread.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Technically yes. Maybe I am just missing the point in doing that? I spoke with the region director and he recommended staying in B for a few tournaments and decide from there. In following tournaments, the B's usually end up in the Open division. When this occurs, the C's never get moved up.

Jun 24, 2013
I would prefer to play against different Teams. Yes, there are some really really good pitchers.

Our Team has been outmatched but I have never seen them give up.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I tend to agree. My main concern is psyche. I don't want to lose players because we are young and we will play against some darn good teams, but I also don't want to tell them we are in for a world of hurt either. We are preparing well though. I do like that.

Apr 9, 2012
I tend to agree. My main concern is psyche. I don't want to lose players because we are young and we will play against some darn good teams, but I also don't want to tell them we are in for a world of hurt either. We are preparing well though. I do like that.
Consistent defeat is a textbook indicator of losing the love of the game.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I agree with that too. I pretty much have to wait and see what happens. I am trying to schedule a scrimmage with one of the C teams but it has been hard with scheduling conflicts.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Do not measure your teams success with wins and loses, measure it in player development, having fun and commeraderie!

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
That is the goal of the team JAD. I want to develop the person as much as the player. When I started this team, I made it clear to everyone that this was a developmental travel team meaning that these girls are on the cusp of making the "better" teams but need some solid practice/playing time to sharpen skills and work on weak areas. I definitely don't measure a team by wins and losses.

I have a different philosophy than a lot of other coaches at this level. I teach team first, individual honors second. I do value individual honors and strive for each player to reach them but to remember who helped get them there. I don't like coaching "me" players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole