SS or 3rd covers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
On a 10u travel team, who would be better fit to cover 3rd on a straight steal from second. SS or 3rd baseman. That's given that your 3rd baseman is playing a few feet in front of the bag.

Last edited:
May 11, 2009
We roll our SS over as well. Just make sure your SS knows she needs to play her position first and not to cheat to soon and on every pitch. She will need to learn to identify the steal early on her own. Work on it a lot. Also teach 3rd to get down so she don't take one in the head.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
It depends on the positioning of 3B and her softball smarts.
It is easy for SS to cover (thus widely accepted) for that age group. If your 3B is
athletic and 'heady', she can be taught to drop back to receive throw while
SS backs up. On bunt cover, SS must be in position to receive the throw.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Might as well teach them correctly. As they get older this is always covered by SS. You try this with third and you will get bunters taking advantage of this. That is why most feel the ss must be the fastest girl on the team.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Might as well teach them correctly. As they get older this is always covered by SS. You try this with third and you will bet bunters taking advantage of this. That is why most feel the ss must be the fastest girl on the team.

I agree. Start her out doing it correctly, then through repitions, she will her timing and foot work down.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
We roll our SS over as well. Just make sure your SS knows she needs to play her position first and not to cheat to soon and on every pitch. She will need to learn to identify the steal early on her own. Work on it a lot. Also teach 3rd to get down so she don't take one in the head.
Thanks. My answer was SS. Have been around fastpitch for about 3 years, and have notice. Your better teams use this formula.

Jul 28, 2008
Might as well teach them correctly. As they get older this is always covered by SS. You try this with third and you will bet bunters taking advantage of this.

Agreed completely.

That is why most feel the ss must be the fastest girl on the team.

When they're younger the fastest and strongest arm, I will agree. When they start getting to 14U where you have some girls that can hit the hide off the ball, I'm placing my fastest kid in center field, hands down.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
When they're younger the fastest and strongest arm, I will agree. When they start getting to 14U where you have some girls that can hit the hide off the ball, I'm placing my fastest kid in center field, hands down.

Right field has to be fast as well, in order to back up 1B in time. Right field also typically plays more shallow than center field, and will need to be able to run down balls hit over her head. I would place my fastest/best outfielder in right field, with my second fastest/best outfielder in center field.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Right field has to be fast as well, in order to back up 1B in time. Right field also typically plays more shallow than center field, and will need to be able to run down balls hit over her head. I would place my fastest/best outfielder in right field, with my second fastest/best outfielder in center field.

honestly, i like all my outfielders being fast/quick.

My dd plays rf for her TB team. She is not the fastest kid on the team, however she reads the ball very well, gets quick jumps and closes in fast for gap shots. It helps too she has a good arm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red