SS or 3rd covers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
Right field has to be fast as well, in order to back up 1B in time. Right field also typically plays more shallow than center field, and will need to be able to run down balls hit over her head. I would place my fastest/best outfielder in right field, with my second fastest/best outfielder in center field.

If you're worried about a RF chasing balls over her head and backing up overthrows to first base, you have much bigger things to worry about. The ball shouldn't be hit over her head and the IF/C should throw the ball to first not over it. Therefore, the RF doesn't need to be particualrly fast. If your best OF isn't in center as the girls get better, you're in trouble. CF covers 1/2 the OF if you have a good CF because she should be taking everthing she can get in front of LF or RF.

Last edited:
May 26, 2010
Central NJ
If you're worried about a RF chasing balls over her head and backing up overthrows to first base, you have much bigger things to worry about. The ball shouldn't be hit over her head and the IF/C should throw the ball to first not over it. Therefore, the RF doesn't need to be particualrly fast. If your best OF isn't in center as the girls get better, you're in trouble. CF covers 1/2 the OF if you have a good CF because she should be taking everthing she can get in front of LF or RF.

Playing the right fielder up gives the opportunity for right field to throw the runner out at first base on a hard hit ground ball. It also increases the possibility of the ball being hit over her head. Playing RF back will prevent the ball from being hit over her head, but makes throwing the runner out at 1B impossible. It's a pick your poison kind of thing.

I would love if the ball never got by 1B, but it does happen. With RF backing up, the runner can't advance to second. Without the backup, a single becomes a double. I prefer to have the RF backup 1B for the one or two times the ball does get by 1B.

May 10, 2010
I know im a going against the grain here. The SS has many steps to get to 3rd at full speed recieve the throw come to a complete stop then tag the runner. Do you coaches use your 2nd basemen for a throw down to 1st because she is playing 2 or 3 steps in front of the bag? If I am playing a team that uses a ss I will take my chances stealing on you your team. Im about my 3rd basemen covering the steal. My fastest player is also my center fielder. My RF generally has the best arm. I am 14u.

Jul 28, 2008
Do you coaches use your 2nd basemen for a throw down to 1st because she is playing 2 or 3 steps in front of the bag?

If we throw down to first, it's a called play. Catcher signals before the ball is pitched. All fielders involved verify they got the signal or play is off. Ball is pitched outside and F4 sneaks in behind runner while RF backs up the throw. Ball is thrown down to F4 covering 1st, while F3 is playing way inside the line to steer clear of the throw. SS should be covering 2nd base in case R1 takes off to 2nd.

I don't like snap throws on the catcher's whim down to 1st when my defense isn't in position to field the ball.

Nov 8, 2010
I coach 10u and have to agree with splinterpicker....3rd base covers! At this age, 3rd base should be the more athletic of the two players (3rd and SS). It also depends on the situation. I saw the world cup team last summer use 3B to take a throw on some steals. Other times it was the SS.

I also couldn't agree more...if I see a team using SS to cover this play 100% w/o exceptions, we steal 3rd A LOT! Most times, we make it!

Jan 15, 2009
I coach 10u and have to agree with splinterpicker....3rd base covers! At this age, 3rd base should be the more athletic of the two players (3rd and SS). It also depends on the situation. I saw the world cup team last summer use 3B to take a throw on some steals. Other times it was the SS.

I also couldn't agree more...if I see a team using SS to cover this play 100% w/o exceptions, we steal 3rd A LOT! Most times, we make it!

Being agressive on the bases at 10U is a successful strategy regardless, chances that the fielders can execute the throwdown and tag properly and on time are small. IMO the way to handle this is that SS adjusts her position towards 3rd base so that she can hold her position during the pitch and easily beat the stealing runner after the catcher receives the ball. Depending on the speed of the SS this is either a small adjustment or a big adjustment. What you don't want is a footrace where the SS barely beats the ball and runner to the spot because that will encourage teams to run on you more because it lowers the chance you'll be able to be successful. Yes this opens up the centerfield gap, but I'm more concerned with giving up 3rd base to a runner on 2nd, than I am with a kid being able to consistantly hit the ball with power to exactly where she wants it. The other problem with putting your SS in a footrace with a base stealer is that it effectively kills her ability to field anything on the 2B side. She will be so conscious of breaking quickly to her right after the pitch that she will inevitably be caught leaving early when the ball gets hit to her left and her momentum won't let her change direction. If she's far enough over, she can play the ball, then cover, without feeling as rushed and still make plays to her left .

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I need to watch some games on TV. Does the 3rd baseperson play so far up that the SS needs/ should cover 3rd base on steals? 3rd baseperson just ducks to get out of the way? Our pitchers are not good enough were another Team has attacked us by bunting or slapping the ball.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If you have third only 2 or 3 steps in front of the bag, with my runner on 2nd, i'll bunt to 3rd every time. If 3rd plays in to cover bunt and ss doesn't cover, I'll steal. With 3rd playing up to cover bunt she will have to catch the ball with her back toward home, and running. with a RH batter at the plate, Ill take my chances that the catcher wont hit a moving target with a perfect throw every time. If anybody is going to catch the ball while moving toward a base, I would rather them be moving horizonal than away, and if your ss can't beat the runner to 3rd, she isn't paying atention to the game. We play 14u by the way. JMO though, Ive seen it done both ways. This is just what works best for us.

Feb 6, 2009
Playing the right fielder up gives the opportunity for right field to throw the runner out at first base on a hard hit ground ball. It also increases the possibility of the ball being hit over her head. Playing RF back will prevent the ball from being hit over her head, but makes throwing the runner out at 1B impossible. It's a pick your poison kind of thing.

I would love if the ball never got by 1B, but it does happen. With RF backing up, the runner can't advance to second. Without the backup, a single becomes a double. I prefer to have the RF backup 1B for the one or two times the ball does get by 1B.

I understand playing RF in a few feet to throw someone out at first if the play presents itself. But playing someone in so shallow that balls go over the head and become a triple makes little sense. If a runner is on 1st, she's not a threat to score. But any triple is a threat to score and I don't care how fast your RF is, if the ball goes over her head to the fence, it's often a triple. I always tell my OF that the need to be very conservative in the OF. Do not turn ANY singles into triples. I trust my pitchers and defense to keep a girl at first from scoring. A runner on 3rd is most likely going to score. Not to mention, if you're RF is running those down, and you're slower OF is in center, you're giving up hits in CF that you should not give up (thereby defeating the purpose of moving your RF in to throw runners out at first). You're best and fastest OF needs to be in CF.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I understand playing RF in a few feet to throw someone out at first if the play presents itself. But playing someone in so shallow that balls go over the head and become a triple makes little sense. If a runner is on 1st, she's not a threat to score. But any triple is a threat to score and I don't care how fast your RF is, if the ball goes over her head to the fence, it's often a triple. I always tell my OF that the need to be very conservative in the OF. Do not turn ANY singles into triples. I trust my pitchers and defense to keep a girl at first from scoring. A runner on 3rd is most likely going to score. Not to mention, if you're RF is running those down, and you're slower OF is in center, you're giving up hits in CF that you should not give up (thereby defeating the purpose of moving your RF in to throw runners out at first). You're best and fastest OF needs to be in CF.

I somewhat agree but it depends on what age group and what rules. For 8U & 10U, we can play 4 outfielders and always have a very shallow RF who can still make an out at 1B for any deep infield ground balls. With the understanding that 70% of the balls are hit either up the middle or to the right side of the infield, you can even cheat your outfield to the right side with the standard 3 outfielders for all other play. If you are playing a shallow right field, its helpful to have your pitcher work the ball low and outside corner to get more ground balls to the right side of the infield. My strategy would also change depending on if there were runners on base, how many outs, and how many runs we were up or down. Giving up an occasional double or triple might be acceptable if your team can make several 1B outs from shallow RF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard