Sqishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Under 16 I agree with the poster that stated KIS as a teaching tool. That is what I use for ladies under 16 and it works well if done properly.

Now I will have to say I can appropriate your use of the concept as a concept to simplify the # of letters needed to pro-jest the point. Not to mention losing of the demeaning assertions that is carried in the dropped S. :cool: & Not only to also mention the linkage lost to the tongue wagging artist :cool:

EP:

Is there sig·nif·i·cance to GRIP... G.R.I.P. is it an acrostic ...like... Get Right In Practice ???...or did you just capitalize ??? Thx

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
RDB giveing you some attention, not paying for it yet... LOL

I know these drills are exasperation's of the swing, and are meant to produce "the Feel for" and I thinking its mostly for the teacher... I'm just wondering on this one... if the kid would turn that turn his front foot, the inside arch towards the plate... heel towards heel, or show the logo... if this was a straight on clip.... If that would engage, or expedite what your trying to show.... I guess you would have to pick up the bat, and give it a feel ??? Knee not soooo high... and squatting down a little more...engaging the back

So you don't think I'm crazy, hears a picture of something alittle closer to what I'm after. Not haveing progressed to trying to feel it for myself yet... so hoping for your help ??? I know it has something to do with HLS...(because of its uniqueness) hoping it can help you convey this backleg/hip thing... :cool:

perfect-circle-albums-hitting-picture4830-bb-r-cut-18.jpg

To follow along with the assumption that the back leg is the catalyst, I can only hypothesize that the reverse turning of the front foot would force focus on the front hip into a more active task and causing the rear to be more passive in allowing the back leg it's (turn, tork, coil ???) ect...

Don't force focus on the front hip into a more active roll. The rear hip is not passive.... It's resisting vs. the rear leg pressure.

Bonds isn't turning his front foot open or showing the logo. The still you captured is right at his toe tap back where the rearward momentum of his tap back vs. the toe on the ground turns his foot like that.

I only have a 51% confidence that I addressed what you were looking for so please restate your question if you want more :)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
IMO putting a set age on when a kid should be taught what is just not giving the exceptional athletes a fair chance. Sure as a general statement, but do people who are on a forum site about a subject have average expectations.

Using 16 years old as the set age.
16 years old is the set age in the Domincan to sign in the mlb. If you are not signed on July 2nd of your 16th year, your value goes down extremely (sometimes in the millions), thats why older players have lied and said they are 16. Do D.R. coaches just work on basics like how to hold the bat before they turn 16? Do U.S. kids not deserve as much of a chance?

LPGA...don't know exacts, but do know that girls under 16 have won some major events in the last 10 years. I would say the window to get a pro level swing in golf is much much larger than softball.

Gymnastics...16 is a veteran. Basketball...kids going pro right out of high school. Many many genious musicians under 10 years old. Tennis...(just things that are popping in my head).

Now softball...TRAVEL softball, take a look at the top PGF teams...Firefrackers, Hurricanes, Impact, Beverly Bandits, etc. look at their 16u teams...the large majority have college commitments! If you dream of playing on a top D1 team, the magic year to seem to be committed or you start running a chance of being too late, is the sophmore year. 16 years old! Think those girls...OUR girls (a lot of these girls parents are members) went beyond the basics before 16?

And my apologize for generalizing high school coaches, I only know 2, and their famous for saying (when the subject is travel ball parents), "all those people want is scholarships...well softball scholarships are small, few, and far between..." To which the only time I replied to one "what should softball parents want? More wins on your belt, and trophies in your office?"

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Don't force focus on the front hip into a more active roll. The rear hip is not passive.... It's resisting vs. the rear leg pressure.

Bonds isn't turning his front foot open or showing the logo. The still you captured is right at his toe tap back where the rearward momentum of his tap back vs. the toe on the ground turns his foot like that.

I only have a 51% confidence that I addressed what you were looking for so please restate your question if you want more :)

Thx NoonTime... I guess my confidence in the question is probably about 49%.... I cut that whole BB swing out, (the u-tube slo-mo)40 frames... that stands out to me as being very different from anything else I've seen....I was trying to support them in their theory....because it looked like they were helpless... without the use of some "coil spring" illustration... ??? I could clean those up... if they were really worth me & others seeing...???

I just got on a MK kick, or into the stride-less-ness options... I'll reserve my place for a more useful question... Thx Again !!!:cool:

Oct 14, 2008
For a Major Di program even 16 is running late, DD said they had an 8th and 9th grader on an over night not to long ago. That is what 13 to 15 year olds? You are correct that those that chase the brass ring of a BCS type school, want it sooner than 16.

Dec 26, 2008
Now I will have to say I can appropriate your use of the concept as a concept to simplify the # of letters needed to pro-jest the point. Not to mention losing of the demeaning assertions that is carried in the dropped S. :cool: & Not only to also mention the linkage lost to the tongue wagging artist :cool:

EP:

Is there sig·nif·i·cance to GRIP... G.R.I.P. is it an acrostic ...like... Get Right In Practice ???...or did you just capitalize ??? Thx

Perfect Circle, that is why I picked GRIP as an example. It was used in some clinics I attended.
Noon Time the nine areas I was referring to are what I picked up at clinics. There are books on the 12 steps to hitting or other media sources with 4 or more steps you can use any of them and then model your instruction so it can be broken down into manageable bites.
The nine areas I use are a foundation or the start of exploration of each area…In essence you could and will have over 50 total steps as you move from exploration to understanding to deepening the areas. I have had players ask about improving power, contact, patience and planning and more often than not the answer can be found in area 1and 2…
1. Equipment/Safety
2. Mental Approach
3. The batter’s Box knowing the field
4. The feet
5. The legs/hips
6. The core
7. The arms/hands
8. The eyes/Head
9. The swing

College Prospects are coming younger in softball as Boldersdad stated.. Thus why better to start early

As prospects the hope is for the ladies to develop and “continue their growth”. Some may actually commit to a college and have the chance to compete for a spot on the roster. If they actually understand that the deepening/mastering process is just starting those will be the ones that make the field.
Boldersdad DD is a very strong hitter as is several other ladies that have made the move from travel to college softball. If the foundations are laid correctly like with these ladies they will be able to continue to grow, get stronger, teach others and be great ambassadors for the game.

Red Hot, Yes there are more advanced players that get deeper into the learning area than others at earlier ages that is great! These players and players not as advanced can get college offers but; do not confuse a lady getting an offer or asked to a camp as finished or has mastered the area most, are just really good phase two prospects.

After attending some of the NCFA camps and large showcase events that will have a wide range of ladies 13U to 18U if you really watch the ladies from warm up to the various stations, You will see ladies from some of the top travel programs in the country (some with offers) that still do not know how to throw or stretch properly… I would consider this basic instruction…Thus the reason for revisiting the area..

Failure to stretch properly impacts the ladies performance, power and ultimately can effect length of playing time regardless of position.
When we are talking the proper use and conditioning of a muscle or to get more power out of the muscle, nutrition (acids) and stretching will be the most beneficial for the ladies to increase power and performance. This area would go into deepening the understanding that some start as early as 10….
To help the target learners, as posters comment.. examples of drills, dril adjustments, or actual footage of the “ladies” they are instructing will be more beneficial.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Perfect Circle, that is why I picked GRIP as an example. It was used in some clinics I attended.

Thx for getting back... I was just guessing on the GRIP... I had never seen it before. I like the emphasis you have placed on safety, in both post. I think this is the place it all starts too. I can remember when DD started playing Fastpitch @ 8 & 2nd grade, and wasn't allowed to cross the street on her own, nor walk thru Wal Marts parkinglot without holding my hand...because they are crazy at ours, and she was lotz shorter, they could just back right over her... but yet I would come and watch 5th graders throw the ball as hard as they can from 35' at her. This was one of the 1st bridges of courage/confidence building we crossed together. I made a safety add-on... and spent lots of time linking catching and hitting...

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014

I feel that this guy might just be the best instructor i have seen. His stuff is up to date and he explains himself really well! I have read all of Tewks's stuff and he is PAINFUL TO WATCH AND HE IS SOOOOO SLOW AND DRAWN OUT! I like a lot of his stuff but man is he painful to watch! JMO!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I feel that this guy might just be the best instructor i have seen. His stuff is up to date and he explains himself really well! I have read all of Tewks's stuff and he is PAINFUL TO WATCH AND HE IS SOOOOO SLOW AND DRAWN OUT! I like a lot of his stuff but man is he painful to watch! JMO!

Tewks does a better job of explaining the role of the hands and upper-body swing patterns than Justin Stone, but neglects the swing engine. Stone does a better job of explaining the lower body and swing engine than Tewks, but doesn't talk enough about hand use and proper barrel path. I'm not convinced either one gets their half 100% right, but it's more right than a lot of the video instruction currently floating around. (IMO, YMMV)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I liked what Stone did in his video series. I got a lot of good stuff out of it. A lot of the lower body stuff has helped my older daughter quite a bit. Is it 100% complete? Probably not but it does give an excellent foundation in my opinion.

I can't get my younger DD to focus on her hitting enough, though she'll work like mad on her pitching. When she's ready to devote some time to her swing we'll try some more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii