Sportsmanship issue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I wasn't asked to do anything unsportsmanlike, either. My point is "confusing the opponent" was not considered unsportsmanlike. Pushing someone out of bounds when the ref wasn't looking is unsportsmanlike. Elbowing someone down low when "fighting for a rebound" was unsportsmanlike. Clapping your hands while they were trying to shoot or pass was not. Yelling "same team" or "ball" or "rebound" wasn't. Never was considered unsportsmanlike when I played. This was the same "type" of thing as yelling "mine" to the infielder. Again, different sport. Different rules. It's unsportsmanlike to break rules period.
i understand where you are coming from the the "confusing the opponent" but in softball we call for balls to keep another fielder from running into the person calling for the ball. If players stop listening to the calls for the ball then we are going to see some terrific collisions causing some concussions or broken bones. It's for sure a player safety issue. That's why it's bad sportsman ship in one sport but not in basketball. No one ever got hurt by passing it to the wrong team or giving up a rebound.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Larry Bird was a dirty player??? Too funny. If you want to model Charles Barkley as the example for your DD to follow, good luck with that. There are plenty of things screwed up with society in general, and youth sports in particular. The latter tends to reflect the former, and most all of the problems start with the adults who can't or won't properly teach their kids, and then throw a fit when someone has the temerity to talk about what's right instead of what might not specifically be against the rules.
HaHaHa omg that's funny. Oh you were serious. Yes Larry Bird was a dirty player. Watch some old games he would be thrown out of games if he played today. But the nba was full of dirty players then.

Feb 7, 2013
The bottom line is have respect for the game, the rules, and your opponent and play the game the way it was meant to be played. No need for "bush league" tactics or "retaliation" of any kind; save that for Ice Hockey and Football:).

Aug 26, 2015
i understand where you are coming from the the "confusing the opponent" but in softball we call for balls to keep another fielder from running into the person calling for the ball. If players stop listening to the calls for the ball then we are going to see some terrific collisions causing some concussions or broken bones. It's for sure a player safety issue. That's why it's bad sportsman ship in one sport but not in basketball. No one ever got hurt by passing it to the wrong team or giving up a rebound.

Exactly why I thought it was ok initially and then when the contact element was explained, I understood.

Aug 26, 2015
HaHaHa omg that's funny. Oh you were serious. Yes Larry Bird was a dirty player. Watch some old games he would be thrown out of games if he played today. But the nba was full of dirty players then.

....and that's the era of basketball I learned in......which is the last time I played or paid attention to sports until DD said "I wanna try softball". The point was not whether Larry Bird was dirty. Several players on that list would be considered dirty and most wouldn't be able to play in today's NBA. The point was all of the "greats" of NBA intentionally attempted to confuse and deceive the opponent.

Nov 29, 2009
....and that's the era of basketball I learned in......which is the last time I played or paid attention to sports until DD said "I wanna try softball". The point was not whether Larry Bird was dirty. Several players on that list would be considered dirty and most wouldn't be able to play in today's NBA. The point was all of the "greats" of NBA intentionally attempted to confuse and deceive the opponent.

I don't know if you'd call it dirty or not. Jordan used to some very subtle things on the court. I watched a few slo-mo videos of him. One of the things he would do was when he was driving to the right and he had a defender leaning on him he would place his left on the defender's hip or leg. As he stopped he would turn his wrist and use his finger tips to push the defender without extending his arm. He kept the defender's momentum going for that split second longer that allowed him to get the open look at the basket.

Another thing he would do was give a defenders arm a slight tug in the opposite direction he as going. He didn't reach out and do it. He leaned into them keeping his arm close to his body. The slight tug gave him the tiny bit of separation he needed to score. You could see the defenders looking at the refs an complaining.

Aug 26, 2015
I don't know if you'd call it dirty or not. Jordan used to some very subtle things on the court. I watched a few slo-mo videos of him. One of the things he would do was when he was driving to the right and he had a defender leaning on him he would place his left on the defender's hip or leg. As he stopped he would turn his wrist and use his finger tips to push the defender without extending his arm. He kept the defender's momentum going for that split second longer that allowed him to get the open look at the basket.

Another thing he would do was give a defenders arm a slight tug in the opposite direction he as going. He didn't reach out and do it. He leaned into them keeping his arm close to his body. The slight tug gave him the tiny bit of separation he needed to score. You could see the defenders looking at the refs an complaining.

No. That's not dirty at all. It's physicality. Body on body, which is the only way alot of defenders had a chance against Jordan in his earlier years. You said it yourself.....they are leaning on him. The call can go either way when that happens. Whoever doesn't get the call will whine about not getting the call. Jordan did his share of whining when he was hit with an offensive foul by the ref in those same types of situations. In basketball, "dirty" is something like clotheslining a point guard because he beat the defense and made it to the lane (you don't have to behead someone to stop the shot....a simple hard foul to prevent a shot would suffice). Another example of what I perceive to be a dirty play is when a power forward or center (for the most part, there are others who do/did it) would intentionally punch, push, slap a player when the ref wasn't looking in an attempt to get a retaliation that the ref sees in order to get a technical foul called. Basically, the game is physical enough. When you use unnecessary physical force, it's dirty. (I.E. the typical play of Ndamukong Suh, Bill Lambeer, Rick Mahorn, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877