Sports Science

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks for posting this. The grip science was previously researched reviewed and published, but perhaps this video will help people and understand it. The bat can be considered a free object. That means definitively that those who have claimed that the grip mattered in terms of "fortifying" the bat, if you will, at contact, are in err. (if memory serves correctly Bustos and Carrier clinics have been cited frequently)

This also means that people who say that a batter's mass is transferred to the ball in any other manner than the bat speed they generate are in err. (Cevallos and FiveFrame referencing him would be examples)

Hadn't seen the first one. Interesting. They give the baseball release about 5 feet from the rubber, and the softball one about 9 feet. I'm not disputing that, it's just more of a difference than I would have guessed.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Thanks for posting this. The grip science was previously researched reviewed and published, but perhaps this video will help people and understand it. The bat can be considered a free object. That means definitively that those who have claimed that the grip mattered in terms of "fortifying" the bat, if you will, at contact, are in err. (if memory serves correctly Bustos and Carrier clinics have been cited frequently)

This also means that people who say that a batter's mass is transferred to the ball in any other manner than the bat speed they generate are in err. (Cevallos and FiveFrame referencing him would be examples)

Hadn't seen the first one. Interesting. They give the baseball release about 5 feet from the rubber, and the softball one about 9 feet. I'm not disputing that, it's just more of a difference than I would have guessed.

Mr T, Are you saying the grip has nothing to do with the actual hit? Batters mass isn't transferred? One sports science episode negates everything you ever seen?
Rolling wrist would be fine (Hanson Principle) really. Bustos and HC work with grip is about what happens long before the bat hits the ball. Also didn't get the implication that mass wasn't transferred.
JMHO.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
The grip can have plenty to do with the hit. Bustos and HC surely run a great clinic an in all certainty probably teach an ideal grip or probably a good grip at least. It just, as Chris OL put it, doesn't work for the reasons they think it does. Believe me I wanted this to be a secret weapon probably more than any one else. I can still hit 90+mph slap shots in hockey using the principle of not having any give when your stick hits the ice. For slap shots your stick strikes the ice before the puck. It is absolutely critical at that moment that your lower elbow be locked (and grip somewhat important too), otherwise it will bend and be a shock absorber. You have no bend in your body system, that make the stick bend, and then when it strikes the puck all of that energy is released as the stick unloads.

When I tried to apply this to hitting, and again I was in the camp big time to want to believe it, I unfortunately ran into something called reality, i.e. settled physics. As I said before, this isn't a new concept, I am not basing this on watching one youtube vid, this vid is based on settled science. And Physics > The Hanson Principle.

As far as mass being transferred, that is a common Cevallos thing that I've seen bandied about in here from time to time, mostly from FFS. It's not Bustos or HC. And again, it doesn't mean Cevallos or FFS are teaching anything wrong, it just means they are using gibberish to try to make it sound scientific when in fact it is utterly un-scientific.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
In watching the grip video, I took it that they were using the term grip to mean how hard you grip the bat versus any style with which you grip the bat. It sounds like we may be talking about two different things. Raw grip strength versus (palm up/palm down, knocking knuckles, etc) Am I missing something?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06