Spin rate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Increasing velocity will almost always increase spin rate. Two pitches with the same velocity and different spin rates - the higher spin rate pitch will move more.

Increasing spin rate alone, in my understanding, will not increase velocity (all other things staying constant).

What would be interesting to know is if higher spin rate makes the ball hold its velocity longer or carry longer.

Nov 9, 2021
Interesting discussion. My DD throws a true riseball and she gets a lot of spin on it. But it is much slower than her fastball. Was told the extra spin is what actually slows it down. So I was under the perception more spin on the same pitch actually slows it down because of more air resistance against the seams. But I have been wrong before. Curious to see different perspectives on spin and it’s effects on velocity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
I am not sure that is true. Last year in baseball they cracked down on foreign substances on the ball. Spin rates were down 10%. There was no discussion or analysis of increased velocity.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter's spin pitches, her curve and rise, are her fastest pitches. Her fastball is 61 MPH, max. Her rise and curve have hit 64 MPH.

When I asked her pitching coach why that was, her response was that she has the ball more in her fingers than her palm. She tends to over grip the ball on her fastball, but the spin pitches can't spin if she's gripping too hard.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Softball is unique in that when you throw a rise or a palm up curve you have a cupped wrist which adds to the effect of IR. You gain nothing from IR if your elbow is locked, having some flex is necessary for the added mechanical advantage. Cupping the wrist is similar to the elbow flex.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Was told the extra spin is what actually slows it down. So I was under the perception more spin on the same pitch actually slows it down because of more air resistance against the seams.
Doesn't have any thing to do with the spin.

If she is throwing a true riseball, it is impossible to do the IR as well.

The final step of the IR is the pronation of the forearm. If the forearm doesn't pronate, the speed will decrease.

If a kid is throwing a bullet spin riseball, there may not be any decrease in speed, but the ball won't move as much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13