speed vrs accuracy for a 10u pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2013
11YO has been playing for years with another pitcher. DD throws strikes but not fast, the other pitcher throws fast but a little out of control. If DD tries to throw fast she gets out of control, if the other pitcher tries to throw slower she is a mess.

I am not sure how either ended up here but they are both going to be pretty good going about it a different way.

Since my DD is the slow pitcher I wished we worked on speed more.

I do not think it Is an easy answer but my control DD is getting more innings because of the walks.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
Her drag foot is digging ditches not marking the dirt but 3inch deep drag marks. Any advice on this?

Somewhere in this forum I remember somone referred to your drag foot being an anchor that might hinder the momentum of your body. Coincidently, my DD's drag foot shoe came home yesterday almost bare! I am going to take a picture of it today n show it because I think she might be just "Half-leaping".

Also, If your 10u DD is jumping to 12u next season, I see why you might be concerned. She is moving back to 40-43 ft from the 35 ft in 10u. I think 40-43 mph in 10u at 35ft is above average speed. You definelty want to make sure her mechanics are down before she takes that 12 inch ball and moves back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach accuracy. She'll never get an inning if she can't throw some strikes. Probably, her release point is varying right now. Speed comes with maturity and practice and internal rotation (which she may be lacking.) It is difficult to get any experience, if she doesn't have control about 75% of the time.

As far as the ditch digging, have her practice inside, in her socks. Or, take a look at high she is raising her stride foot. Sometimes, it is too high.

May 28, 2013
My 10yr old drags her foot hard as well. She leaves a deep trench which the next pitcher on the mound hates :) . My DD"s pitching coach says she herself drags hard and that is not a problem as long as it is not slowing her momentum. Think she needs to work on both accuracy and speed. We are working on positioning the ball as well as doing power drills to build her speed at the same time.

May 28, 2012
Somewhere in this forum I remember somone referred to your drag foot being an anchor that might hinder the momentum of your body.

Also, If your 10u DD is jumping to 12u next season, I see why you might be concerned. She is moving back to 40-43 ft from the 35 ft in 10u. I think 40-43 mph in 10u at 35ft is above average speed. You definelty want to make sure her mechanics are down before she takes that 12 inch ball and moves back.

I heard the same and thought that might be slowing her down

We actually practice with 12" a good bit now. She seems to throw them better

May 28, 2012
We actually have 4 pitchers on our team. My DD has quickly passed 2 and 3 in a short time even though they have been taking lessons for Multiple years. She throws strikes. Beats some but lets the defense take care of the rest. Im probably being picky but in 6 months she has come a very long way and I only want to help. I have learned that to catch her on bucket MUST WEAR SHIN GUARDS.
She had a lesson today with a new coach but she had to cancel, The last was very good and pitched in D1 but was 1.5 hour drive. Would try to go when she had travel ball practice because her team is in the same town but never could get times lined up together.

I ride a lot. No 10u teams locally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG