Speed v Movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
So which is more important, speed or movement on pitches? Bare with me just a sec., I promise this isn't a pitching post. I read some post were boasts are made of what speed pitchers throw. Then other posts, parents/coaches talking about how important movement pitches are. Usually, people talk about, including the few instructors/coaches I know,
talk about how fast a girl throws instead of how good her movement is.
The reason I ask is this. If elite pitchers are working on their speed or movement more shouldn't hitters be trying to hit that type of pitching more.(I hope that makes sense). Should I crank up the speed at batting practice or give dd pitching where she can recognize movement and adjust to it.
Perhaps the best hitters can do both well.

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
I guess my question is how do I get my dd to be able to do both well?

Speed is fairly easy it is just timing, movement is a whole different animal. Your DD needs learn to read the ball, most people do this and don't actually know they are. Live pitching with lots of reps. some pick it up quicker than others.

Feb 3, 2011
Teach her to hit, which involves tracking the ball.

In 10u, she's not going to see much - if any - movement. But as she goes through the next couple of seasons, she's likely to run into some girls who can really bring the heat from 35 feet.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Use the baseball pitching machine. Adjust the wheels so it puts spin on the ball. Set it different each time. It will come with practice. Throw in the Barry Bonds drill and you get constant change that they must adjust to.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Use the baseball pitching machine. Adjust the wheels so it puts spin on the ball. Set it different each time. It will come with practice. Throw in the Barry Bonds drill and you get constant change that they must adjust to.
What would be a good speed to start Barry Bonds drill and at what increments do they move closer?

Jun 20, 2008

Visual training, being able to pick up the ball and spin early and anticipate where the ball will be is the key...some see where the ball is and where it has been the best see where the ball is and where it is going...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole