Specific drills for lowering hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ok...so are you saying there is not extensor action happening in my gif?

CP

Correct. What you show is "extension". What I'm attempting to describe is often referred to as "extensor action" and takes place between the 'stance' and 'swing launch'. It is more about how the hands are controlling the barrel pre-swing-launch.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Correct. What you show is "extension". What I'm attempting to describe is often referred to as "extensor action" and takes place between the 'stance' and 'swing launch'. It is more about how the hands are controlling the barrel pre-swing-launch.

Thanks for the clarification...

That definition seems pretty esoteric to me or it could be just me having a blonde moment from a mentally taxing week.

Based on what I saw in the Elk video, how would this be any different than the feeling of torquing the handle? If I duplicate Elk's glove tugging motion from a hitter's handset, I feel a torquing action which is why I'm confused over the terminology...

OR...

is it that my top hand should be pulling the bottom hand with no resistance from the bottom hand?

CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks for the clarification...

That definition seems pretty esoteric to me or it could be just me having a blonde moment from a mentally taxing week.

Based on what I saw in the Elk video, how would this be any different than the feeling of torquing the handle? If I duplicate Elk's glove tugging motion from a hitter's handset, I feel a torquing action which is why I'm confused over the terminology...

OR...

is it that my top hand should be pulling the bottom hand with no resistance from the bottom hand?

CP

The action is 'along' the length of the barrel .... not 'orthogonal' to the barrel.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The action is 'along' the length of the barrel .... not 'orthogonal' to the barrel.

As I understand (at the moment) what you are trying to describe, the hand action at swing launch would include a change of force from along the barrel to perpendicular/orhogonal. Correct?

What about batters who tip oppo before launch? Aren't they applying a force perpendicular/orthogonal to the barrel (opposite of launch direction)? How does "extensor action" happen in that condition?

Nov 9, 2013
"Extensor actions"...hmmmmm.

I have a simple drill that works wonders for hitters who drop their hands. Have your daughter get in her set-up position and have her drop the barrel of the bat on her arm (not her shoulder). Try to have her keep it there as long as possible during the swing. With her bat pressed on her arm, her hands are unable to move. Hitting like this in practice (and even in games) will eventually train her body to keep her hands still. Eventually, you can have her lift the bat off her arm and back to a normal hitting position and her hands will remain still now due to muscle memory. It also forces hitters to use their entire body to hit, not their arms. You will see noticeably more bat speed and power. It's that simple.....no "extensor actions" necessary.

Jake-Torque-1.JPGJake-Torque-1.JPG

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
What you said...

As I understand (at the moment) what you are trying to describe, the hand action at swing launch would include a change of force from along the barrel to perpendicular/orhogonal. Correct?

What about batters who tip oppo before launch? Aren't they applying a force perpendicular/orthogonal to the barrel (opposite of launch direction)? How does "extensor action" happen in that condition?

What I heard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Oops. Not my intent. I was trying to get some clarity FFS' "extensor action".

How about this?...

"Extensor action" is pulling upwards along the length of the barrel. At the launch of the swing, the force on the handle would have to change to perpendicular. If this correct?

Does "extensor action" exist for batters who tip the bat to the opposite field before launch? It seems to me that those hitters only use perpendicular forces.

Can you show me where "extensor action" is happening?
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Top question: Yes. What you are describing as a perpendicular/orthogonal force component on the barrel is a fairly sudden and abrupt force.

Bottom question: Let's imagine Bonds' swing ... something we've all seen often enough. When Bonds tips his barrel, he also lowers his hands .... and when Bonds untips his barrel, he raises his hands. Extensor action will occur during the untip (raising of the hands). Watch the barrel and you will see the transition.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez