Somewhat Different Collision at Home Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
One thing I CANNOT STAND that I hear more and more in youth baseball/softball (Little League) levels is unruly parents saying to their kids, "Next time he/she is in the base path, you run them right over." I've umpired for 12 years and have had maybe 3-4 collisions like this - I'm fairly sure all of them were unintentional simply based on the reactions of the players, etc. I always make it a point to talk to the defensive players during time-outs/in between innings to tell them how to play things if situations like that come up again (ex. 1B-man on the inside corner of the base watching a play to LF when the runner goes for 2nd and collides with the fielder). I've even had parents confront me between innings about the call, stating what they said to their kids, and my immediate response is, "Well now that I know this, if your son/daughter does it again, both them AND you will be ejected and banned." I've even had to do that to a RELATIVE of mine. It's one thing to know situational awareness, of course. It's another thing to just not be a complete d**k about it for the sake of victory. If any of my 16U girls ever did it intentionally, they'd be picking their opponent up off the ground before sitting out the rest of the day, because unsportsmanlike conduct is something I refuse to tolerate.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I guess you miss the part where I said I agree that it's a rule? I've heard parents and even coaches at times argue you have to slide during games. Hence my first sentence about the "you have to slide" argument. It's now creeping into umps in our area as well. And at least one UIC during a tournament was leaning that direction on an incorrect call as well. Not involving our team but caused a good bit of controversy in a tie game. I didn't see the play though.

These are umpires who are misguided in their duty on the field and adopted a coach's mantra of being their "for the girls". They think they are helping when, in fact, they are misleading players and coaches and failing to apply the appropriate rules.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
One thing I CANNOT STAND that I hear more and more in youth baseball/softball (Little League) levels is unruly parents saying to their kids, "Next time he/she is in the base path, you run them right over." I've umpired for 12 years and have had maybe 3-4 collisions like this - I'm fairly sure all of them were unintentional simply based on the reactions of the players, etc. I always make it a point to talk to the defensive players during time-outs/in between innings to tell them how to play things if situations like that come up again (ex. 1B-man on the inside corner of the base watching a play to LF when the runner goes for 2nd and collides with the fielder). I've even had parents confront me between innings about the call, stating what they said to their kids, and my immediate response is, "Well now that I know this, if your son/daughter does it again, both them AND you will be ejected and banned." I've even had to do that to a RELATIVE of mine. It's one thing to know situational awareness, of course. It's another thing to just not be a complete d**k about it for the sake of victory. If any of my 16U girls ever did it intentionally, they'd be picking their opponent up off the ground before sitting out the rest of the day, because unsportsmanlike conduct is something I refuse to tolerate.

I'm assuming your rant refers to our actions as a coach and not an umpire.

Jun 1, 2015
Neither - more-so said in generality. I just find it a shame that some individuals (not stating anyone specifically) would advocate injury/violence against another player, male or female, at ANY level for the sake of gaining an advantage over another person/team.

Apr 3, 2013
These are umpires who are misguided in their duty on the field and adopted a coach's mantra of being their "for the girls". They think they are helping when, in fact, they are misleading players and coaches and failing to apply the appropriate rules.

I agree. And honestly most well coached teams we have been on and play against this never comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I in the last to years of coaching 10u both B and A level, when an Ump has brought up sliding. It wasn't about being a rule. More about no one getting hurt.

In baseball and softball, more injuries occur from sliding than from player collisions, being hit by batted balls, and being hit by pitches combined.

Encouraging players to slide, who may not be properly trained in the technique or experienced doing it, will probably result in more injuries than it prevents.

Besides that...since it's not a rule, an umpire asking players to slide is a form of coaching. Umpires should NEVER coach players. Leave the coaching to the coaches.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I guess you miss the part where I said I agree that it's a rule? I've heard parents and even coaches at times argue you have to slide during games. Hence my first sentence about the "you have to slide" argument...

Your first sentence said "You never have to slide". No argument there!

"You have to slide"...now that would be a groundless argument.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Encouraging players to slide, who may not be properly trained in the technique or experienced doing it, will probably result in more injuries than it prevents.

Right there, that IS a major problem and concern. Too many players are never coached to slide properly. When practicing, I've seen coaches satisfied with the point the runner got the the ground and base without getting hurt, but never critique the method. In turn, too many players recklessly throw themselves at a base or simply will not slide in fear of getting hurt.

Apr 3, 2013
Your first sentence said "You never have to slide". No argument there!

"You have to slide"...now that would be a groundless argument.

Sorry you didn't understand what I meant. In the first sentence, which you only quoted a small part, I said I don't disagree with it. I should have said that I don't disagree that is the correct rule not that I don't disagree with the argument you don't have to slide. But whether it's a fact has no bearing on fact that parents, coaches, and even some umps are having ARGUMENTS over this rule. Facts and rules are argued all day, everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles