Some help please - team chemistry vs individual talent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If the leaders of my team came to me and expressed concerns about a new player, I'd respect that and be loyal to them. I assume these team leaders like to win just like I do. If there are other agendas, I think I would sense it. They wouldn't ordinarily speak up unless they found a player to be particularly abrasive.

Also, in travel ball, I consider the team to be 'ours,' not mine. That is, it's a group of coaches, players and parents that all have a little say in the philosophy and direction of the team. Obviously, the coach has more say than anybody else, but part of my job is to deliver a certain positive experience for them. So the players have more say on a travel ball team than they would in high school or college, where the coach is working for the school. In travel ball, to some extent, the coach is working for the parents and players. So their concerns are very important, IMO.

Jun 21, 2012
I read an article a while back about playing a baseball player who thought he should have made the team because he felt he was talented. The baseball player spoke about the coaches not knowing what they were doing and how good he was. The article was called, "Playing with Class..."

I wonder if that has ever been mentioned to this "talented" and "rude" girl. Has there ever been a coach who sat her down and explained the concept of Team, and how players don't coach, they play, and coaches don't play, they coach.

To me, there is more to coaching a team than just fundamentals and the game. There are life lessons, professionalism, respect, and things of that nature.

I enjoy project kids like your "rude" girl. I would take them both. I would be firm with this "rude" girl and clearly state what my position was, what her role was, and how it is going to work on this team. She may cut herself afterwards, but she will know it was her doing, not the teams, nor the coaches. We call that...a teachable moment.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
How many are you planning to keep? At 18U, I would think with all the other distractions that these girls have that you probably could take both.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
18U Surprises

How many are you planning to keep? At 18U, I would think with all the other distractions that these girls have that you probably could take both.

If you are playing true to age, the first year of 18U summer TB can be a big change. Come summer, most will have graduated from HS and their priorities may have changed significantly, even from the fall and winter. Some will be playing in college, others won't (or decide that they don't want to). Some will be working 40 hours/wk to pay for school, car, clothing, etc., and others won't be working at all. Some will have serious boy friends! Different priorities, objectives, goals, and work ethics emerge than have been seen from the players previously - with some of the players its no real surprise, but others will shock you. You need to keep a larger roster than in previous years as an insurance policy so that you will have enough players for to compensate for vacationing, missing, late, tired and even hungover players.

I'd say take wdj's advice and keep both players and make very clear team rules that ALL players will be expected to follow.

In college and life these girls will soon learn that they don't have to be best pals with their roommate, teammates, or colleagues, but that they do have to learn how to get along with them. The sooner they learn this, the happier and better of they will be.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Experience here has been 2 of the 3 A-level TB teams my DD has been associated with crumbled by nationals due to girls not getting along (couple that with constant politic-ing of some parents of girls getting the "short end of the stick" on playing time). Teams that are true "teams" can excel past higher-caliber individuals getting together to play a game.

GO WITH THE GOOD ATTITUDE!

Ditch the high maintenance _____!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan